Newbs first box is a score

Huntjunkie

Feb 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a blurb about coin roll hunting on the internet so I went to my bank and bought 500.00 in a sealed box of half dollars and scored a 1964. I have been reading and realize I need to go back and check for S mint mark before I re-roll them. I am now addicted I am going to return these 500.00 rolled and get another 500.00. My goal is to get enough by the end of the year to pay for our vacation.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your find, I made enough profit last year to vacation outside in the Holiday Inn parking lot - and free Continental Breakfast donuts!

J/k, good luck in the hunt.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you have a dump bank set up already? You won't want to take those coins back to where you got them from. (Couldn't tell by the way it was worded.)

OP
OP
H

Huntjunkie

Feb 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a dump bank set up already? You won't want to take those coins back to where you got them from. (Couldn't tell by the way it was worded.)

I was just going to take them back to my bank and swap them for another unopened box. I am assuming that is a mistake?

SilverHoarder07

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just going to take them back to my bank and swap them for another unopened box. I am assuming that is a mistake?

If you are interested in having the hobby around for more than a couple more hunting session I would recommend you read around about good etiquette and how to establish an effective pickup and dumping system. Also, familiarize yourself with the proper techniques of interacting with branch/credit union staff and "spreading the love" so to speak.

Good luck!:icon_thumleft:

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
There is work to put in so you don't screw it up for others. Plus get ready for the tellers that hate CRHing....IT'S NOT A HOBBY IT'S A LIFE STYLE! Lol

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Newbs box man have scored but you got A LOT to learn- oh boy oh boy- PLEASE read through the beginners guide in the stickies section-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a blurb about coin roll hunting on the internet so I went to my bank and bought 500.00 in a sealed box of half dollars and scored a 1964. I have been reading and realize I need to go back and check for S mint mark before I re-roll them. I am now addicted I am going to return these 500.00 rolled and get another 500.00. My goal is to get enough by the end of the year to pay for our vacation.

1st how were you checking them? By the dates or by the rim? I wouldnt really worry about the S mint mark unless youre interested in collecting the proofs

OP
OP
H

Huntjunkie

Feb 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I am reading the form stickies and learning as a matter of fact the biggest beginner stickies say nothing about dumping or etiquette, but I am still reading through them. Thanks for the advice. Lamrussel I am checking by both, but I would like to have some proofs just for fun, so after reading stickies I am going to go through again more thoroughly. Thanks for the heads up.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the last page(11), I put a section specifically on half dollars... please give it a read, and learn from my mistakes

HH

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will need a few accounts, most likely.

Find a bank with a good coin counter (either a large bin, or large bags for halves) so you don't have issues dumping at those branches. Open an account at that bank (you will probably have to scout nearby banks to find the best one). Dump there, cash if possible, because a lot of deposits/withdrawals looks goofy and suspicious.

Buy from one bank, dump at another bank. Note I said bank, and not branch of the same bank. Some places it seems ok to dump at different branches of the same bank, but others, not.

OP
OP
H

Huntjunkie

Feb 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input and I will jump on page 11 of the Newb guide ASAP. I found a credit union that has a coin counter and am going in to open an account tomorrow. I can only dump 200.00 a day even with an account but I can buy 500.00 a week from my other banks and dump at the credit union and be ready for the next week.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input and I will jump on page 11 of the Newb guide ASAP. I found a credit union that has a coin counter and am going in to open an account tomorrow. I can only dump 200.00 a day even with an account but I can buy 500.00 a week from my other banks and dump at the credit union and be ready for the next week.

Thats definitely a start- keep looking-

PennyRoll

Mar 29, 2013
Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Wish my credit union had a coin counters get, it will definitely come in handy if you decide to do other coins!

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say if you have a big dump bring a dozen doughnuts they will see you appreciate them for taking you're clad

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I am reading the form stickies and learning as a matter of fact the biggest beginner stickies say nothing about dumping or etiquette, but I am still reading through them. Thanks for the advice. Lamrussel I am checking by both, but I would like to have some proofs just for fun, so after reading stickies I am going to go through again more thoroughly. Thanks for the heads up.

Huntjunkie,
Congrats on your first find! I encourage you to keep all the coins that YOU enjoy collecting. Some people look at CRHing as a way to make extra money or stack PMs. Others look at it as strictly a hobby. Most of us probably see it as a mixture of both but it influences the advice we give. Some of the common coins collected besides silver are proofs, errors, 2002- current, and 1987. Some will keep plated, holed, and counter-stamped coins. It's all about what you enjoy. You can always decide to cash in the coins you've saved.
Good Luck!
OO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread