Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bro-in-law found this on Sat. Hoping Don or IP can help. Kind of narrowed it down to Breen155-157. (the 155 has 23 minor vars. and the 157 has 108...WOW) There are 3 main issues though. It has the 157 reverse, (which is the small "3"), but it has the large 3 in the date. You can see the longer extension before the curl. Second.....In the top curl of the "2". it looks like there is another "stop" in it. Almost looks like a "star" stop in a Conn. copper. This is NOT just a piece of metal from corrosion. Looks like the "2" was struck over it. Third......Below the foot in Britania there is what appears to be a severe die break. I don't think it would be classified a "cud". Thought this would make ID possible, but there are so many different varieties. Hopefully Don or IP can shed some light. This should be a good 1 to figure out. :icon_scratch: Might be a good coin for the C-4 guys. but I'll wait to hear from Don.

Attachments

• rcoin1.jpg
    rcoin1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 301
  • rcoin3.jpg
    rcoin3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 96
  • rcoin5.jpg
    rcoin5.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 302
  • rcoin6.jpg
    rcoin6.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Upvote 2

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't help any because I'm not really familiar with the varieties, but mostly because I don't have the reference material to compare. Sounds like there's many clues to ID it though.

OP
OP
hogge

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look at coinfacts....it has a small 3 example that looks like the reverse. Problem is it has the large 3 as you can see. Plus all the other stuff. Awesome shape for a dug copper!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great old copper congrats!

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice early peice!

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Wow Hogge your brother in law dug him a really nice Colonial Copper, heck of a condition for sure it is a BIG CONGATS for him :thumbsup:

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a wonderful find. I get excited finding a silver dime. Can't imagine how I would feel if I ever unearthed something like that. I honestly would have no clue what it was. Fortunately T-net is blessed with members with seemingly limitless knowledge and they're happy to share which is great.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, really nice old dug copper.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your BIL got a goodie, wish I could help, but looks like you need the reference book to get the full variety ID on this one...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions