What's new

Nice beach find yesterday!

Flathead25

Full Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2013
Messages
105
Reaction score
133
Golden Thread
0
Location
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this yesterday along with a few pottery pieces while walking the beach. Still pretty new to this, but I'll say it's a Morrow Mountain.

Ran into a woman walking the beach and she asked what I was looking for. She sort of chuckled when I told her arrowheads and said, "good luck!". Not 5 minutes later I picked this off the sand of a heavily traveled beach!


ForumRunner_20161124_090742.webp



ForumRunner_20161124_090802.webp
 
Upvote 0
Beautiful quartzite point!
 
Fantastic! Good looking point. I especially like the "wet" shot.
 
Man! That is one of the best I've seen! Great needle tip! Glad you had the last laugh.
 
That is a smoker! Congrats
 
WOw that's a sweat one!!
 
That's an awesome find. I've never had any luck at the beach for points. You pulled a nice one. Congratulations!
 
Nice one!
to bad you couldn't have caught up to that lady and really gave her something to chuckle about
 
Nice one!
to bad you couldn't have caught up to that lady and really gave her something to chuckle about

Thanks everyone for the comments! I did think about catching up to that lady...but it took me a good 10 minutes to see straight and catch my breath after finding this one!

I went back to the same spot the next day and took a closer look at a "boulder" I had been avoiding when pulling the boat up on the beach. I still can't believe I didn't notice it before, but it looks to me like a pestle! After cleaning off the oysters, I noticed another line ground into the opposite side of it. Can anyone help clue me into what the straight grinding line was used for?



ForumRunner_20161127_222251.webp



ForumRunner_20161127_222312.webp
 
Very cool finds, I think the straight groove is considered a shaft straightener
 
Man that is sweet. Reminds me of a show I saw on TV. Basically where people buy their own islands off the east coast. The old lady was walking around her new island and picked up a point a lot like yours there. Great find !
 
The point is fine and the grinding stone is really nice. It's JMO but the groove would be for shaping bone . Great find, I would hunt that area some more.:icon_thumright:
 
Pretty cool find ....... I've never thought about an Indian at the beach...
 
Pretty cool find ....... I've never thought about an Indian at the beach...

Anywhere there is a food source...kind of like modern man. ;)
 
Anywhere there is a food source...kind of like modern man. ;)

Just think, the east coast shore line was tens...if not hundreds of feet below what we know today. Someone told me recently, "the really good stuff is 50 miles offshore!" I figure our beaches now are just the eroding "high grounds" of the ancient past.
 
Just think, the east coast shore line was tens...if not hundreds of feet below what we know today. Someone told me recently, "the really good stuff is 50 miles offshore!" I figure our beaches now are just the eroding "high grounds" of the ancient past.

If you believe the archeologists, at the peak of the last ice age (around 18000 bc), the sea level was as much as 450 feet lower than today. Yes, the NC coastline would have been as much as 50 miles more east. But then global warming kicked in and the ice started melting. Don't think we people started the big melt...then. Warming has been going on a long time.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom