What's new

Nice Early Complete Buckle, Interesting Designed Pewter Button, Crotal Bell

Ahab8

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2013
Messages
8,427
Reaction score
8,293
Golden Thread
2
Location
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last couple weeks have been crazy. I got a great job offer and have been scrambling to wrap up all of my jobs before I started this past week. I haven't been out swinging for weeks. Actually not since I found the spoons. I went to the spot where I found a couple of very early buckles. Right off the bat I found another nice complete buckle. This makes 16 or so in less than 2 years. One of my ancestors was a traveling cobbler in this area in the 1700s and I always wonder if maybe....just maybe his hands touched one of these buckles. I also dug a few buttons on this site. When I got home I was surprised to see that the pewter button had a design on it. No idea what the hell it is but it's the first pewter button I've found that I could actually make out the design on. Anyway it felt great to get out for a few hours and dig a few keepers. Hope you're all having a great summer
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
image.webp
 
Upvote 50
Congrats Abe that buckle and bell are great. The pewter button is real cool to :thumbsup:
 
Great single chape buckle -early and complete. Amazing. I've only found double chape buckles. The pewter button is a great find too- I feel like I've seen that design on here before so maybe someone will chime in.

Congrats Abe and good to see you got out bud.

Steve
 
Good looking finds, Abe. That buckle is sweet. Are those paneled cabinet doors some of your handiwork?

Ha yeah I had some prefinished v-match left over from a job and whipped those up one day. Not my best work but it did the trick
image.webp
 
Ya know? It just never gets old. No matter how long we find stuff it's always such a kick to find things that have that slight mystery to them!

Nice! I can't help but I sure do appreciate. :)
 
You Sir, are a buckle finding fiend..
Nice early buckle..
Love to see all your buckles in one display.
I am glad you like them because you sure have alot of them!
Cool find Abe.
Here they are. 9 in 2015. I will whip up a display this winter. Wish I was as good at finding early American silvers
image.webp
image.webp
 
Well done again Ahab, outstanding collection of buckles. That pewter has me stumped- given the construction it is giving me a military vibe, but I have been unable to match it. Any pictures of the back?
 
Well done again Ahab, outstanding collection of buckles. That pewter has me stumped- given the construction it is giving me a military vibe, but I have been unable to match it. Any pictures of the back?
Yeah these pewters are such a bittersweet find sometimes. You could have something great and not even know it
image.webp
 
Glad you were able to get out for a little swinging after a long hiatus. As we were discussing, that buckle is definitely older than what it appeared from first glance. That's an early chape style and probable dates from the very late 1600s to the mid-1700s. Nice going on the pewter button too. I'm surprised you haven't dug more of those seeing how old your sites are. Hope you can make that boat trip again soon ....
Bill I think living on the coast most of the pewter buttons are basically long gone by now. The salt content here on the coast is so hard on coppers and pewter. I bet I've only dug 8-10 pewter buttons. Crazy I know. Luckily this place is pretty sandy. Strangely most of the old silvers I've found have been very nice. Maybe just luvky but I'm sure glad the one with the tree on it came out nice 8-)
 
Nice complete buckle….hard to find intact for sure...
 
I'm endlessly impressed with the the quality of your finds. You set a very bar! Congratulations!
 
Very nice! Congrats! You don't miss a beat! We'll just have to start calling you Ahab- Prince of buckles!
Wish you well on the new job. Psssst- you old silver IS out there...and you WILL find it!
 
Congrats Abe , some real nice variety there ..cheers Mick
 
Another amazing buckle Abe. Those buckles of yours are so awesome and your collection is beyond impressive. Love that bell too. I had wanted to find a bell so bad, and finally did... Still rang great... the property owner liked it as much as I did, so I gave it to them.

Big congratulations on the new job too.
 
Yeah these pewters are such a bittersweet find sometimes. You could have something great and not even know it
View attachment 1175401

Yea, think I can make out a faint mold seam, but nothing to aid in the ID. Love these early pewters, but this one may remain a mystery.
 
Yea, think I can make out a faint mold seam, but nothing to aid in the ID. Love these early pewters, but this one may remain a mystery.
Yep there's a seam. But you're right....one more mystery. Like all of the blank coppers I have 8-)
 
That's a sweet buckle Abe! Your getting a nice collection of earlier buckles.
 
Very nice finds Abe, love the crotal bell and of course, the beautiful shoe buckle! :occasion14:

Hope you're able to get out and make some more great finds soon! :thumbsup:
Dave
 
Those early shoe buckles are amazing!!! My area wasn't settled until around 1730 so it would be tough to find one of that age! Simply stunning, I just love shoe buckles!!! Love your posts and congratulations on some beautiful colonial finds.
 
Really nice.
You have a fine buckle collection goin' on there.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom