Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one beautiful Point, and I do think it is a point, not a drill, but perhaps a knife, but with that big stem, hmmmmmmn, I am nowhere near an expert in this field. I did look in Gary Fogelman's book and the closest point I found so far that could be in your area of the state is a Merrimac Stemmed point. I will send you a photo of that page in the book with the description. There is another point, but the more I looked at it, there is too much difference between yours and the second choice I had which was a Neville Point.

Whatever it is, appears to be Archaic, which is a fairly old point.

Super find!!!

Don

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Thanks everyone! I originally thought point also, but as creek said, I think this sweet little point was resharpened enough it "may" now be a drill? I do agree with Don completely, Archaic is mainly what I find in my area. Anywhere from 5000-8000 BP, according to a Archaeologist friend.

I really enjoy finding points and watching my collection grow. I'm getting there. :)

razor

Apr 29, 2007
Hello Country Girl, Havn't talked to you in months. Good looking point... and I do believe it to be just that, a well loved and well used point. Excellent find!!! Ray

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Razor, Sorry about that, the ground has barley thawed out here. :D Point it is. It's just so fragile feeling. I know this sounds corny but......I do agree this point had a special meaning, you can feel it when you hold it, definatley a well loved point. At least it is now, it's one of my favorites. I just wonder if it was still in use when Cpt. Turner came by? Thanks for the look. :)

razor

Apr 29, 2007
The fault is mine. I've not posted much as of late. I'm a full time, non-traditional, college student and I've been real busy. Ray

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Hi Cannon, who would I find to do an use-wear analysis? Thanks for the look, got another Sat. But haven't taken pictures yet. :)

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Tough to find somebody skilled in it. I've dabled in it but not enough to know too much. There a couple/few Universities that have people who can but I would have to try and dig out my lithic use-wear analysis book to find out who now (and that's packed in a box in the garage in anticipation of us moving). If you like science, have a little bit of extra time, have access to the same raw material as your piece is made out of, and have a REALLY good microscope you could test it yourself. Knock off a few large flakes of the raw material and use each one for a different task, cutting meat, plant material, chopping, scrapping, cutting bone, digging, etc etc... then compare each one under a STRONG microscope to compare which one looks most like the edge on yours...more experimentation with more materials can often times lead you to a very close match with the use of your piece. I know that in the book I read an electron scanning microscope was used so I don't know for sure that a super strong regular microscope would... I'm guessing that it would give you a pretty good idea anyway. *Dang it* Now I have to go dig out my kids microscope and take a look at some flakes!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread