55.6 KB · Views: 387
  • Drill 007.jpg
    Drill 007.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 388
  • Drill 009.jpg
    Drill 009.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 380
Upvote 0
That is one beautiful Point, and I do think it is a point, not a drill, but perhaps a knife, but with that big stem, hmmmmmmn, I am nowhere near an expert in this field. I did look in Gary Fogelman's book and the closest point I found so far that could be in your area of the state is a Merrimac Stemmed point. I will send you a photo of that page in the book with the description. There is another point, but the more I looked at it, there is too much difference between yours and the second choice I had which was a Neville Point.

Whatever it is, appears to be Archaic, which is a fairly old point.

Super find!!!

Don

Thanks everyone! I originally thought point also, but as creek said, I think this sweet little point was resharpened enough it "may" now be a drill? I do agree with Don completely, Archaic is mainly what I find in my area. Anywhere from 5000-8000 BP, according to a Archaeologist friend.

I really enjoy finding points and watching my collection grow. I'm getting there. :)

Hello Country Girl, Havn't talked to you in months. Good looking point... and I do believe it to be just that, a well loved and well used point. Excellent find!!! Ray

Razor, Sorry about that, the ground has barley thawed out here. :D Point it is. It's just so fragile feeling. I know this sounds corny but......I do agree this point had a special meaning, you can feel it when you hold it, definatley a well loved point. At least it is now, it's one of my favorites. I just wonder if it was still in use when Cpt. Turner came by? Thanks for the look. :)

The fault is mine. I've not posted much as of late. I'm a full time, non-traditional, college student and I've been real busy. Ray

Hi Cannon, who would I find to do an use-wear analysis? Thanks for the look, got another Sat. But haven't taken pictures yet. :)

Tough to find somebody skilled in it. I've dabled in it but not enough to know too much. There a couple/few Universities that have people who can but I would have to try and dig out my lithic use-wear analysis book to find out who now (and that's packed in a box in the garage in anticipation of us moving). If you like science, have a little bit of extra time, have access to the same raw material as your piece is made out of, and have a REALLY good microscope you could test it yourself. Knock off a few large flakes of the raw material and use each one for a different task, cutting meat, plant material, chopping, scrapping, cutting bone, digging, etc etc... then compare each one under a STRONG microscope to compare which one looks most like the edge on yours...more experimentation with more materials can often times lead you to a very close match with the use of your piece. I know that in the book I read an electron scanning microscope was used so I don't know for sure that a super strong regular microscope would... I'm guessing that it would give you a pretty good idea anyway. *Dang it* Now I have to go dig out my kids microscope and take a look at some flakes!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back