rainorshine

Oct 6, 2013
Black Hills, SD
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20170908_172022.jpg20170908_172040.jpg
Recently my brother in law bought a property downtown. Today we were dropping off supplies there and he asked if I could try and find the property boundaries. I didnt find what we were looking for but had a nice quarter sounding signal and out popped this. He had no idea what a trade token is but was just as stoked as I was when I explained the history. If anybody has info on this token that would be awesome. I told him this is the place to find it and that I'd let him know what I found out

Upvote 20
Very nice find! George Raver was a saloon-keeper in 1900 in Custer. The token is not listed in Miedema's SD Tokens book nor is it on tokencatalog.com - it would be great if you could post it on tokencatalog, or give me permission and I can do that. George was born in Nebraska in 1862 and died in Custer in 1930. He is buried in the Custer cemetery. It is rather unusual for a saloon to use $1 tokens - they usually used 5¢, 10¢, and/or 12½¢ ones. My guess is that the token was used as a gambling "chip" in card games.
John in the Great 208

Well done. You nailed it again! Thanks for you continued assistance on identifying cool old token coins.:icon_salut:

I had a feeling it was something special. A South Dakota token valued at a dollar would have to be a scarce one, maybe unique. John in the Great 208 is the in-house token expert, so if he hasn't seen one like this before, it must be very rare.

Very nice token find. I'm with Loco. I would rather dig a token, than most coins. They just tell a little piece of history.

Thanks everybody for all the likes and input. The largest denomination of token before this one that I have found was 25c, so when I saw $1.00 on this tiny little token I wasn't sure what to think.

Nice old saloon token.
Congrats

I DIME FROM DIGGING TIME, IS FINE

I had a feeling it was something special. A South Dakota token valued at a dollar would have to be a scarce one, maybe unique. John in the Great 208 is the in-house token expert, so if he hasn't seen one like this before, it must be very rare.
Actually, wagbert, the $1 denomination on SD tokens is fairly common, but what makes it unusual is that it is from a Pre-Prohibition bar. Many general stores used denominations up to $1 or more.
John

Great save with the early 1900'S Token!!! Great shape as well!! Congrats!!!:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back