Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
I went to a small set of ball fields that I have covered pretty thoroughly before hoping for some new losses. I spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21 doing a quick check but listening carefully in case I missed something deep the last time I was here. I did manage to find 47 coins with a face value of $2.15, a cheapie necklace, a ring, a wheatie (1956D), a shoulder pad clip, 2 cleats, a fancy cheapie button, a chromed tip off something, a whatzit, can slaw and tabs.

DSCN3061.jpeg

The ring looks just like a gold ring my wife has and gave me a real thrill that lasted about 2 seconds until I felt how light it was. On closer inspection I could tell it was a cheapie aluminum kids ring made to look just like the real deal. Bummer.

DSCN3062.jpeg

They play soccer and baseball on these fields now, but at one time they must have played football as well from the stuff I found.

DSCN3064.jpeg

DAY 2
I checked out another set of ball fields in a very small town about 10 miles to the south of my home. I check this one out every couple of years and thought it was time to check again. In 4 hours swingin the CZ21 I found 72 coins with a face value of $6.65, a set of keys, a mini car, a squashed penny, a modern copper jacketed bullet, a tiny keychain flashlight, a cz charm, the top of a decorative column, a bent stainless steel spoon, a batch of key charms, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw and foil.

DSCN3065.jpeg

The key charms were all on the tot lot by the ball fields. There were 21 of them this time. I found 63 on a different tot lot a short while back. Some of these are the same as I found in the other batch and a few are different. It’s kind of strange that I keep finding these on the tot lots.

DSCN3066.jpeg

The best find of the day was the squashed penny, also known as an elongated penny. I find these all the time and didn’t pay much attention to it in the field, just put it in the pouch. When I got home and looked closely I could see WORLDS FAIR CHICAGO across the bottom and 19 and 33 on the building. I thought it had to be from a museum or something, but when I looked it up it turns out they did make elongated pennies at the 1933 worlds fair. This one depicts the Oriental Village I believe. I can’t find one that matches it on line. Definitely an unusual find. It’s not worth much and in its current condition ( very crusty and hard to read) it is almost worthless, but it was fun to find out about it. It just keeps proving, you never know what might come out of the ground so keep on swingin and diggin.

DSCN3067.jpeg

DAY 3
I went back to the new middle school permission. It was a very windy day and the snow blew in off and on, but didn’t lay. When I got home to the west and up the mountain from the school my yard was a winter wonderland.

IMG_2292.jpeg

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 129 coins with a face value of $8.18, parts of pens, a war nickel, a wheatie, a Canadian penny, half of a 2 piece button, an aluminum pencil sharpener, a “P” Pepsi game tab, a post office box key (U.S.P. S. DO NOT DUPLICATE), can slaw, foil and tabs.

DSCN3068.jpeg

DSCN3070.jpeg

When the war nickel popped out it just looked different than a regular recent loss nickel (ones in the ground for a long time are copper colored and not silver looking like recent lost ones are) and when I flipped it over I was sure. It is a 1945 P. The wheatie is a 1958 and the Canadian is a 1968. The half of a button looks old, but I’m having trouble reading the backmark. The outside is rubbed pretty smooth and the inside is corroded but it is the best shot for an ID. I think the last part of the name is MANS and after that is MASS which I believe stands for Massachusetts. I’ll keep trying, but if any of you folks know more about out buttons than I do (I don’t know much) or can read the backmark, please let me know.

DSCN3069.jpeg

DSCN3074.jpeg

DSCN3078.jpeg

NOT A DETECTING FIND, BUT THE WOOD IS SALVAGED
Part of my time away from detecting has been because of a knitting cabinet I promised my daughter for her birthday. I made the cabinet out of American chestnut lumber I made from beams salvage from my old church in central Maryland where I grew up. The church was built in 1899 and demolished in 1963. My father and I salvaged some of the beams and I got them when he passed in 1996.

The drawer faces are walnut. The cabinet and the knobs are chestnut. She wanted it to have nail holes and knots to give it “character”. Not my best work, but she loves it.

IMG_8233.jpeg

IMG_8234.jpeg

IMG_8235.jpeg

The wild turkeys have been making a lot of trips through my yard recently. Here are a few of them from this week.

IMG_8197.jpeg

That’s all for now, thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 23
DAY 1
I went to a small set of ball fields that I have covered pretty thoroughly before hoping for some new losses. I spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21 doing a quick check but listening carefully in case I missed something deep the last time I was here. I did manage to find 47 coins with a face value of $2.15, a cheapie necklace, a ring, a wheatie (1956D), a shoulder pad clip, 2 cleats, a fancy cheapie button, a chromed tip off something, a whatzit, can slaw and tabs.

View attachment 2136726

The ring looks just like a gold ring my wife has and gave me a real thrill that lasted about 2 seconds until I felt how light it was. On closer inspection I could tell it was a cheapie aluminum kids ring made to look just like the real deal. Bummer.

View attachment 2136712

They play soccer and baseball on these fields now, but at one time they must have played football as well from the stuff I found.

View attachment 2136713

DAY 2
I checked out another set of ball fields in a very small town about 10 miles to the south of my home. I check this one out every couple of years and thought it was time to check again. In 4 hours swingin the CZ21 I found 72 coins with a face value of $6.65, a set of keys, a mini car, a squashed penny, a modern copper jacketed bullet, a tiny keychain flashlight, a cz charm, the top of a decorative column, a bent stainless steel spoon, a batch of key charms, aluminum bottle caps, can slaw and foil.

View attachment 2136714

The key charms were all on the tot lot by the ball fields. There were 21 of them this time. I found 63 on a different tot lot a short while back. Some of these are the same as I found in the other batch and a few are different. It’s kind of strange that I keep finding these on the tot lots.

View attachment 2136715

The best find of the day was the squashed penny, also known as an elongated penny. I find these all the time and didn’t pay much attention to it in the field, just put it in the pouch. When I got home and looked closely I could see WORLDS FAIR CHICAGO across the bottom and 19 and 33 on the building. I thought it had to be from a museum or something, but when I looked it up it turns out they did make elongated pennies at the 1933 worlds fair. This one depicts the Oriental Village I believe. I can’t find one that matches it on line. Definitely an unusual find. It’s not worth much and in its current condition ( very crusty and hard to read) it is almost worthless, but it was fun to find out about it. It just keeps proving, you never know what might come out of the ground so keep on swingin and diggin.

View attachment 2136716

DAY 3
I went back to the new middle school permission. It was a very windy day and the snow blew in off and on, but didn’t lay. When I got home to the west and up the mountain from the school my yard was a winter wonderland.

View attachment 2136725

I spent 6 hours swingin the CZ21 and managed to find 129 coins with a face value of $8.18, parts of pens, a war nickel, a wheatie, a Canadian penny, half of a 2 piece button, an aluminum pencil sharpener, a “P” Pepsi game tab, a post office box key (U.S.P. S. DO NOT DUPLICATE), can slaw, foil and tabs.

View attachment 2136717

View attachment 2136718

When the war nickel popped out it just looked different than a regular recent loss nickel (ones in the ground for a long time are copper colored and not silver looking like recent lost ones are) and when I flipped it over I was sure. It is a 1945 P. The wheatie is a 1958 and the Canadian is a 1968. The half of a button looks old, but I’m having trouble reading the backmark. The outside is rubbed pretty smooth and the inside is corroded but it is the best shot for an ID. I think the last part of the name is MANS and after that is MASS which I believe stands for Massachusetts. I’ll keep trying, but if any of you folks know more about out buttons than I do (I don’t know much) or can read the backmark, please let me know.

View attachment 2136711

View attachment 2136720

View attachment 2136719

NOT A DETECTING FIND, BUT THE WOOD IS SALVAGED
Part of my time away from detecting has been because of a knitting cabinet I promised my daughter for her birthday. I made the cabinet out of American chestnut lumber I made from beams salvage from my old church in central Maryland where I grew up. The church was built in 1899 and demolished in 1963. My father and I salvaged some of the beams and I got them when he passed in 1996.

The drawer faces are walnut. The cabinet and the knobs are chestnut. She wanted it to have nail holes and knots to give it “character”. Not my best work, but she loves it.

View attachment 2136721

View attachment 2136722

View attachment 2136723

The wild turkeys have been making a lot of trips through my yard recently. Here are a few of them from this week.

View attachment 2136724

That’s all for now, thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

That cabinet looks great! And the history of the wood and the fact that you made it will make it all the more precious for your daughter. Well done.

Well done on the recoveries once again.
Finding all those charm keys are really different recoveries.

I tip my hat on the cabinet you made for your daughter. I love that the wood is from the old and has been reused to make something that will be cherished for years to come.

Love the cabinet!! Some great finds! I wonder what's up with all those little keys you find?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back