What's new

Nice piece of Silver!!!

Newfiehunter

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2007
Messages
744
Reaction score
342
Golden Thread
0
Location
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I decided to take my new Eurotek Pro for a hunt at my new hunting site and this little detector didn't disappoint! Found this 1890 Newfoundland 20 cent silver piece and a badge with the Latin inscription: Pax, Copia, Serptentia which means Peace, plenty, Wisdom..Wish I could find more information on it...Also found a Spanish Copper which is very similar to a Reale ...The date is unknown...The Eurotek Pro has impressed me a great deal...Can't wait to return to see what I can find!
 

Attachments

  • 100_2763.webp
    100_2763.webp
    173.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_2764.webp
    100_2764.webp
    136.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 100_2755.webp
    100_2755.webp
    150.1 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 16
Newfoundland coins are so beautiful, you got a really nice one!
The cap badge is also a decent find
 
A good daily double! :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how or if this applies to your find being military, but it's very similar to a family crest.

Fleming Surname Meaning, Fleming Name History, Fleming Crests, Coat of Arms & Genealogy : MyFamilySilver.com

Thanks Ironpatch.....I found that very same information as being a family crest but was unsure if that was what it was...Apparently that Latin Expression is used on many crests but the snake with the olive in its mouth was a symbol of the Fleming family...Still a mystery though probably because my knowledge of crests is not that insightful...Guess I will have to continue to dig up some more info on family crests and the meaning..
 
Last edited:
Very nice finds and a very cool silver. WTG on the saves
 
Nice badge, I too put in a few minutes without much luck. except that your OP has "Sapientia", spelled a bit different.

I even tried a huge hat badge site and searched for the phrase. That's a match as far as design goes IP got.

Anywho, good job on the seldom seen 20 cent piece also.
 
HUNTER LOVE THE CAP BADGE .....
 
After a few minutes of looking around I believe you have what is called a Family Clan badge. Here is two more examples.
 

Attachments

  • cb1.webp
    cb1.webp
    39.7 KB · Views: 103
  • cb2.webp
    cb2.webp
    50.1 KB · Views: 90
Well done on the 20 cent piece and the badge,
 
Thanks Ironpatch! That was greatly appreciated...
 
Thanks Ironpatch! That was greatly appreciated...


It's a very cool find, and great that you happened to dig the family crest that used a snake! I prefer it a lot more than the 20 cents, which I have also found.
 
Being of Scottish descent I seen the same thing...looks to be part of a family crest
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom