Nice point and possible mano?

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have had a few cool nights lately which seem to have calmed the mosquitos down a bit. Decided to walk around the woods near where I dug a few times. Ground was a bit wet so it made finding the black soil easy. Found these just walking around.

Nice point with what looks almost like a long shoulder or barb and what looks to be an unfinished point. 1505146355269.jpg 1505146365126.jpg 1505146375102.jpg 1505146383990.jpg

This was exposed under a rotted log, saw part of the round end and a shoulder sticking out, when i put my hand around and felt it was long and roundish i instantly thought mano, but it looks like it was used for chopping or breaking up nuts maybe? The rounded end looks to have a bit of use as well.
1505146633692.jpg 1505146644819.jpg 1505146654179.jpg 1505146662499.jpg 1505146672618.jpg

I found what i thought to be another mano but a bit bigger and sitting under a large rock, but i didnt bring with me i may head out after work and grab it.

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds what material are the points made from? The bigger piece is interesting I wonder what that broken end would have looked like , maybe the rest will turn up one day

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds what material are the points made from? The bigger piece is interesting I wonder what that broken end would have looked like , maybe the rest will turn up one day

I believe they are normanskill, possible onondaga. I have a hard time telling the difference between the two. I honestly think the broken end is intentional for chopping or breaking up stuff.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its called a Roller Pestle and would of been the same on both ends so it is broken. I havent found any but some have found them in my area. Nice point to.

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with rock that it looks like it could be a roller pestle. Rollers pestles have been found that were more than 2 1/2 feet long and similarly shaped. They were used like a wooden roller pins to grind and roll out grain meal. But the end of your piece appears to have been heavily used for pestle like work ,so l'm speculating that it may be a multi-purpose pestle.

OP
OP
captain redbeard

captain redbeard

Mar 19, 2015
Cayuga county, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with rock that it looks like it could be a roller pestle. Rollers pestles have been found that were more than 2 1/2 feet long and similarly shaped. They were used like a wooden roller pins to grind and roll out grain meal. But the end of your piece appears to have been heavily used for pestle like work ,so l'm speculating that it may be a multi-purpose pestle.

I think you guys are right after looking at some expamples of different roller pestles, even saw several examples with the end broken the same way as this one. Definitely a first type of artifact for me, thanks for the info!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Roller Pestles arent completely round its just the name that its called some are flat on the sides like for grinding and sharpening bone tools. I have seen both styles Id like to find one but not yet.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very good eye points.. Cant help with the pestle, looks like a good possibility though.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some Roller Pestles arent completely round its just the name that its called some are flat on the sides like for grinding and sharpening bone tools. I have seen both styles Id like to find one but not yet.

Hi Rock

Do you know where I can see some roller pestles with flat sides? I have found lots of pestles and I believe I may have a few flat sided roller pestles. I did not realize they were called roller pestles.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Captain I would also agree that looks like wear from use on the bottom. Here is a roller pestle that is purposely notched. I found it last year on Thanksgiving. I also believe it is for multi use. Possibly phallic the bottom is perfectly rounded. Probably not though. I have read though that some pestles and mortars were made for decorative purposes.

Leaves were everywhere in the creek couldn't see a thing then there was a roughly 3ft diameter circle with no leaves and this pestle was sitting there.

20161123_121017.jpg 20161123_121006.jpg

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool little point

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Rock

Do you know where I can see some roller pestles with flat sides? I have found lots of pestles and I believe I may have a few flat sided roller pestles. I did not realize they were called roller pestles.

Go to a artifact show Im sure some will have them. Usually plenty of examples there.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a artifact show Im sure some will have them. Usually plenty of examples there.
Thanks Rock I have never been to one. I appreciate the reply and the knowledge you bring to the table.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread