What's new

Nickel Finding Fool

Old Dude

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
8,838
Reaction score
9,870
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wayne County, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. I decided to get out and try an old farm house this morning that I could never catch anyone home before. The nice lady that came to the door today didn't hesitate and said sure! The very first target was the shield nickel. About 4 feet away came the buff. I thought this was going to be an extraordinary hunt and I would get a trifecta since the yard is HUGE and I had only spent 4 or 5 minutes so far. Wrong! Only other coins were a toasty wheat and a clad dime lol. I did get a couple neat relics including the wick adjuster from a kerosene lamp ( when I was a boy, we called them coal oil lamps! ), and the neat old clip that I assume is a suspender clip. Anyone have input toward it? The lady said her grandfather built the house a little over 100 years ago, but I believe the farm is quite a bit older. She said they always find a lot of broken pottery in the adjacent field that was already planted.
I decided to include pics from an earlier hunt too that gave me the ornate little adjustable bracelet. I thought it was pretty neat. Anyone seen one like it?
Thanks for looking.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441601.903623.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441643.904748.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441692.676944.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441754.394726.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441799.534629.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441848.965912.webp
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433441889.231811.webp
 
Upvote 36
Great digs OD. But where's the _ _ _ nickel? Sorry I just had to.
 
Lol, TBD...that's why I titled the post that. I thought " Oh man, a war nick would make a trifecta!". I actually predicted I would find a shield nickel before a silver one several weeks ago in a thread lol.
 
Thanks for sharing I just upload a picture of my May 2015 Shield Nickel from the Beach. My Post The Beach is still Hot May 2015- goldnugget. Yours Nickel looks like mine ( Toasted as usual )
 
Looks like you saved those nickels just in time! Congrats! Neat bracelet!

The wick holder looks like the older better made ones. Great hunt there OD!
 
Cool finds dave, did I read right? BROKEN POTTERY???

Need I remind you of my cornfield, it was a broken pottery wasteland, ALOT of coppers and buttons from that field as you know, that can end up being an old homesite!
 
OLDDUDE, there are some relics that when we find that we cannot name because they go back to another time, neat assortment,vanzutphen
 
Thanks for sharing I just upload a picture of my May 2015 Shield Nickel from the Beach. My Post The Beach is still Hot May 2015- goldnugget. Yours Nickel looks like mine ( Toasted as usual )

Thank you Gn. I commented on your thread. Your nickel might be better! Since there are no Rays, it looks like the 1867-1883 version.

Looks like you saved those nickels just in time! Congrats! Neat bracelet!

The wick holder looks like the older better made ones. Great hunt there OD!

Thanks MBB! Believe it or not, the wick adjuster is my first. I was happy once I got home and saw what it was.

Cool finds dave, did I read right? BROKEN POTTERY???

Need I remind you of my cornfield, it was a broken pottery wasteland, ALOT of coppers and buttons from that field as you know, that can end up being an old homesite!

Yes sir. I had a huge smile when she said that. I know where we need to try this fall! The place is owned by 2 sisters that work for Geisinger. The lady that gave me the permission doesn't live there. She lives in Allentown she said, but works in Shamokin and stays there through the week because it is closer than ATown.
 
Last edited:
Well once it's cut I might be able to help ya search for the homesite if there was one, I'll see if I can fit it into my schedule lol
 
Nice job on the Shield Nickel. I haven't found one of those yet.
 
Excellent hunt, Congratulations! I love finding V-nickels.
 
OLDDUDE, there are some relics that when we find that we cannot name because they go back to another time, neat assortment,vanzutphen
Ty sutphin. I don't spend a lot of time in the field looking at my finds. Usually just enough to see which pocket of my pouch I should put it in, lol.


Well once it's cut I might be able to help ya search for the homesite if there was one, I'll see if I can fit it into my schedule lol

Lol, ok, I will pencil you in for the fall.

Nice job on the Shield Nickel. I haven't found one of those yet.

Obbf, With the incredible finds I have seen you post, I would bet my last dollar that you aren't losing sleep, lol. Thanks!

Excellent hunt, Congratulations! I love finding V-nickels.

Thanks PoE. I sure would have loved seeing a V today to complete that trifecta.
 
Thanks PoE. I sure would have loved seeing a V today to complete that trifecta.
And what would it be called if you found a War Nickel OD? OH Yeah a Dream
 
Nice hunt Dave, very nice nickels. I love that bracelet!
Must of been a nickel kid of day?
 
And what would it be called if you found a War Nickel OD? OH Yeah a Dream
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1433454377.582625.webp


Nice hunt Dave, very nice nickels. I love that bracelet!
Must of been a nickel kid of day?

Thanks Brad...I liked it enough to include it in this post. It is pretty ornate for bling. They made things much better then, didn't they?
 
Oh I see what you did there OD. Well Kinda
download (1).webp
 
Still looking for my first shield nickel, Congrats on some good saves!!

These guys on here will never let you forget that war nickel deal, probably jinxed you today from a trifecta.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom