What's new

Nickel with "D" mark?

eagleforce

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
544
Reaction score
727
Golden Thread
1
Location
California
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickel with "D" mark?

Swung around near a fairly new park today and foun a 1944 nickle with a "D" marked above the Montecello. I guess its a war time nickle. Is it special or just another old nickle? Any help would be appreciated.
 
Re: Nickel with "D" mark?

eagleforce said:
Swung around near a fairly new park today and foun a 1944 nickle with a "D" marked above the Montecello. I guess its a war time nickle. Is it special or just another old nickle? Any help would be appreciated.
Save it I believe its 35 % silver. http://warnickels.com/
 
Upvote 0
Re: Nickel with "D" mark?

bigcypresshunter said:
eagleforce said:
Swung around near a fairly new park today and foun a 1944 nickle with a "D" marked above the Montecello. I guess its a war time nickle. Is it special or just another old nickle? Any help would be appreciated.
Save it I believe its 35 % silver. http://warnickels.com/
Yep They made them from 1942-45 and only the silver war time nickles have the mintmarks above the dome. In average condition they are worth about $1.00 or so. There are a few higher though.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Nickel with "D" mark?

Solved..........Nice.. Thank you guys. My first "different coin" then, besides a canadian penny. I have only been swingin this thing for about 2 weeks, when I can find time around work, but am so addicted to it.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Nickel with "D" mark?

Glad to be of help. Almost forgot, Welcome to Tnet.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Nickel with "D" mark?

plehbah said:
Was it still shiny when you dug it up?
Where on Earth did you dig up the young Mao?
Mike
 
Upvote 0
Re: Nickel with "D" mark?

Its not shiny like new, but its not bad either. Its not stained or mineralized. I found it around the edges of a local basketball park under the grass about 2-3 inches down. It had 2 other nickles stacked with it. The park is not that old, maybe 10 years or so. But it was built on land from an old house/property from the late 1800's from what I have found. But I don't think it's from them folks.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom