What's new

✅ SOLVED No clue on this round thing

Wobbleshank

Jr. Member
Joined
May 7, 2020
Messages
32
Reaction score
65
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on a property that was a farmstead from the late 1800s through about 2000. Seems to say "QRS" on the top and "U.S.A." on the bottom. Nothing on the back side. Made of copper, I believe. Seems to have a tube on both sides, but no opening through it. What do you think?

20201023_204524.webp
20201023_204547.webp
 
Last edited:
It is odd that the "R" is smaller than the other letters and has a period (dot) on either side.

If that really is "USA" as in "Made In USA", I think that typically would put it firmly in the mid-twentieth Century (basing that on my knowledge of cast iron cookware dating), but it certainly looks older than that by the patina, the style of lettering, and the material it is made of.
 
Upvote 0
It is odd that the "R" is smaller than the other letters and has a period (dot) on either side.

Yes, the fanciful type treatment seems out of place for what I expect is something very functional.
 
Upvote 0
AH HA!! The typestyle matches that of a piano roll company. Now, what exactly was this piece for?

il_570xN.1208474545_bk4w.webp
 
Upvote 0
OK, I think I've got it! I wasn't able to find a photo of the piece with the company name embossed onto it, but I did find this patent drawing. The item is a spool flange for the ends of player piano rolls. Patent date 1922.

spool-flange.webp
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED What is it?
Replies
24
Views
2K
Replies
12
Views
1K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom