No copper stripe?

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m really just assuming I can’t see it more so than it just isn’t there it’s a 2001 New York quarter I found. I mainly just hunt for w quarters and silver with very few varieties I look for so I don’t have a scale to determine the weight. What’s your thoughts on it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    785.9 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Odd, one would think it a silver proof. But the proof sets I know of come from the S mint. And it dose not quite look right to me for silver, and from the P mint? Do you have a known silver quarter on hand to compare it to? side by side it should be easy to know if they feel, look, sound the same when you flick them up in the air with your thumb. Or Google that year and mint mark if you havn't allready done so. I'm currious to know what you find out.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Without convincing evidence, my opinion is that it is a common clad quarter. When planchettes are punched from the feedstock, the outer cupronickel layers are occasionally “smeared” over the copper layer. It happens often enough for a collector to consider before considering silver from a mint that does not produce silver for that denomination. A close look at the edge with a quality loupe should show traces of copper.

When in doubt, weigh it.

Time for more coffee.

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 90% silver quarter will weigh 6.25 grams. A clad quarter will weight 5.67 grams. Weighing the quarter will definitely reveal what it's made of.

Considering that it's not an S mint proof, my guess is that somebody took a clad quarter and silver plated it.

OP
OP
Barrydang

Barrydang

Sep 2, 2019
alabama
Detector(s) used
minelab, fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I don’t have a scale but I didn’t think it was silver either. I’ll go with it’s plated. I
Might have to invest in a scale.

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Give it the "ring" test
Balance it on your finger tip and clink it with another coin. A silver coin has a RING to it like a pitch tuning fork. Clad does not

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread