No more metal shovels or scoops in mytle beach South Carolina

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the local news it says new beach rules passed. No holes over 2ft deep and all holes to be filled. No metal shovels allowed for recreational digging. It did not mention metal detecting. I've seen people dig swimming size holes and leave them. I'll post if I here more

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend more time filling the holes dug and left by others. I also keep a 5 gallon bucket in my truck to haul out the trash left beside these holes.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the logic in limiting both the size of the hole and the material of the spade used to dig the hole?

Sounds to me like a legislator's nephew is selling carbon fiber reinforced epoxy shovel heads....

Hddeuce03

Jul 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't say anything about our scoops. Our scoops are not shovels.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The new law does not mention detecting or scoops. The holes were getting to be a hazard. People were actually stepping in the holes at night and getting hurt.
Doesn't say anything about our scoops. Our scoops are not shovels.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The new law does not mention detecting or scoops. The holes were getting to be a hazard. People were actually stepping in the holes at night and getting hurt.
Stepping in holes at night is only half the problem with stepping in a hole. Now days it's a round the clock epidemic.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the thing we need..more rules to keep idiots safe from themselves. You know, natural selection should be taking these souls out of the population but there are too many warning signs...

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find plastic shovels from little kids all the time. Maybe kids were using metal garden trowels and losing them in the sand? Doesn't make sense really.

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the local news it says new beach rules passed. No holes over 2ft deep and all holes to be filled. No metal shovels allowed for recreational digging. It did not mention metal detecting. I've seen people dig swimming size holes and leave them. I'll post if I here more

Well it?s a good thing Were all professional. Looks like we?ll have the place all to ourselves :laughing7:

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh so what’s the difference between recreational digging versus metal detecting, gee little kids making sand castles and digging to China is recreational, or we hobbiest digging a hole for treasure. It’s one way or the other, define what the hell they mean we need to no don’t you think. State laws government laws who’s saying this Blackbeard

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
49er, please watch language, we are family friendly forum.. thanks

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will try to explain the difference between recreational digging and metal detecting. Recreational digging is when kids , and sometimes a parent will dig a hole large enough to sit in, play in or to just watch the water seep into. Metal detecting is when one walks along the beach with an electronic device waiting for a signal from a buried object. He then scoops up a small amount of sand, recovers his new found zinc penny, covers the small hole and moves on with his treasure! Like I posted earlier. There is no mention of metal detecting or scoops in the new rules!!
Oh so what’s the difference between recreational digging versus metal detecting, gee little kids making sand castles and digging to China is recreational, or we hobbiest digging a hole for treasure. It’s one way or the other, define what the hell they mean we need to no don’t you think. State laws government laws who’s saying this Blackbeard

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh great now everyone understands, so there’s no problem metal detecting in South Carolina beaches

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am gathering sediment samples with tools that must be metal free. I have a spad and a shovel made from special tuff plastic reinforced with glass fibres. It serves very well, and it is difficult to brake too. You should be good with a shovel like that on a beach for a life time.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You shouldn't have to buy a shovel like that. There is no legitimate reason to force plastic spades upon free men. This is Memorial Day weekend. You ever wonder what all those soldiers died for? They partly died so that you could dig any depth hole however deep you care and with a digging instrument of your choice, so long as you don't harm another human being's life, liberty, or property. That's how come it says "LIBERTY" on U.S. coins.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people don't recognize a lot of things because they aren't spending time paying attention.

For instance- Most people can't define what a Right is.

Any action that harms another person is wrong. Any action that does not harm another person or their property is a right, as in the right thing to do.

A person that uses a plastic shovel not because they choose to do so, but because if they do not use a plastic shovel men with guns will come and take their shovel away has been gotten. They are quite literally enslaved. Think about that.

Edited to add- the post I was replying to disappeared.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
49er, this is NOT the politics forum.

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You shouldn't have to buy a shovel like that. There is no legitimate reason to force plastic spades upon free men. This is Memorial Day weekend. You ever wonder what all those soldiers died for? They partly died so that you could dig any depth hole however deep you care and with a digging instrument of your choice, so long as you don't harm another human being's life, liberty, or property. That's how come it says "LIBERTY" on U.S. coins.

True. But we cannot solve this problem in here. Maybe it my help to remember this type of things on election day. I am not an American, but i am shure there are many other democratic and civilized ways to influence political decidions. Local petition might be one of them, i do not realy belive local politicions bare a few of us, detectorists, in mind when proposing new rules. Somethimes it just pays to be heard.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People become slaves because they want to be slaves.

If somebody is trying to steal something from you, you probably call the cops right? So who do you call if the cops try to steal your metal shovel?

It's not complicated, just obsfucated

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread