No one seems to know, what is this antique fishing reel?

1carazy1

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have posted on numerous sites with over 700 views and the hunt gets more interesting with every view and no one knows.
Do you know? Thanks for viewing and any comments. DuWayne 1111 (2).jpg

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Is it a complete rod and reel?
I have one of similar design, I'll see if I can find it.
Mine is just the reel and handle (butt section) that the rod slips into.
Maybe the same company?

Upvote 0

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
take it off the rod, It should say something on the part that attaches to the rod. Looks similar to a blue fin I had, It was marked Japan where I said to look.

Upvote 0

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a ice fishing reel to me.

Upvote 0

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ice fishing set up. Premax had a style like that with reel and rod being one piece.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ice fishing set up. Premax had a style like that with reel and rod being one piece.

My first guess was ice fishing rod. My second guess would be very old having a cork handle. I can remember my grandfather's fishing polls having cork handles and I am now 68 years old. I can remember a few of these when I still lived in Wisconsin

Upvote 0
OP
OP

1carazy1

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Red-Coat, I believe I have the same reel. mines a 61" total length, Pat. 80990 American Fork and H o e / True Temper pole. I have been searching for some time now to find out anything about this reel. 1111444.jpg

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Red-Coat, I believe I have the same reel. mines a 61" total length, Pat. 80990 American Fork and H o e / True Temper pole. I have been searching for some time now to find out anything about this reel. View attachment 1825434

Hi @ 1carazy1. I don't have a reel like this. I was simply enlarging your picture with an arrow pointing to where I was asking if there was any manufacturer information because I thought I could see some letters or numbers.

The patent number you're quoting (filed by Robert H Cowdery of Geneva, Ohio in 1927 for the American Fork and Hoe Company) was only for a "new, original, and ornamental Design for Fishing Rods". It made no claim for particular functionality and did not cover anything to do with reels. Only the design of the rod itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP

1carazy1

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks you all for the info, I really appreciate the help. IMG_6632.JPG

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... is there an manufacturer information on the area of the reel that I arrowed? Or anywhere else on the reel... not the rod.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

1carazy1

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat, The area on the trigger is scratched to the point that its hard to tell if it was marked. I do not believe there is a makers stamp as what ever I try to make out of the scratches as lettering would not be like a straight line makers stamp. I did some more hunting from rick67 post about Premax, so I googled it and came across this listing on E-bay. VINTAGE AMERICAN FORK & HOE / OXFORD SQ.STEEL FISHING ROD/REEL COMBO. I did take the line off but not the handle cork as I am did not want to gamble on damaging it. Close up inspection with magnifier glass an no markings on the reel. You guys have gave me my first real leads. Thank You - Thank You!

Upvote 0
OP
OP

1carazy1

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HuntinDog, Yes, I believe it is a all in one rod and reel. There is a screw on the end to remove/replace the longer handle section of the cork. But I have no idea on how to remove the rod section. Thanks DuWayne

Upvote 0

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at Rick's rods in Denver Co. You might have something worth money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I googled antique fly fishing rods and that's what and came up. Ricks rods.

Upvote 0

Garbonzo

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of an old fly fishing pole. If you have ever watched the movie "A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT" with Robert Redford you will see him use a very similar rod while fly fishing.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread