Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got off camping finally. Nice weather, upper 50's in the day, mid 30's at night. Little windy. Lot of different explanations about what La Garita means in English. I've heard, hut, checkpoint, lookout, etc. I guess it means whatever the person using it was talking about in the context of those times. I always like to stop at that veteran's memorial in that cemetery. I didn't know any of those mentioned, but hey, they didn't know me either, and they're a big reason I can go do stuff like this. Rattlesnakes are out, but they're hangin out in front of the dens, basking in the sun. I couldn't get a pic cause they all slid back in to the den too quick.
4-18aaa.jpg
4-18fff.jpg
4-18hhh.jpg
4-18eee.jpg
4-18mmm.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell you what DizzyDigger, I used to always sleep on the ground down outside there if the wife wasn't along. One time camped over by La Ventana Del Norte, bout dawn I woke up, it was a little cool and windy, and I didn't want to get out of bed. This rattler came up by my head and I guess the wind flapped the tarp I had under the bag and he started buzzing. Best alarm clock you could have! After that, the wife has this cot and I'll take that down there. Even so, I set it up one day and this prairie rattler just cruised up beside it, stretched out, looked at me like, hey, how's it goin bud, good spot!

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here ArfieBoy, on the backside of that marker the name of all those in that area who gave all.
7-8f.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting that a one Capt. Jaun Julian Espinosa saw action in the Civil War. Born Jan. 4, 1829 in
El Rito, Taos County, NM, he'd of gone from being a citizen of Mexico to a citizen of the United States at age 19.

Attachments

• 41718159_1451532986.jpg
    41718159_1451532986.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 0
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Capt. Espinosa is the oldest one there, far as they know. That's an impressive list of people who served from that area. Yeah I heard about that Highway 50 bridge Friday morning on the radio. Detour to the north is 7 hours and detour to the south is 6 hours. It wasn't widely broadcast but CDOT is planning to allow local traffic to pass through. They were looking into the feasibility of clearing alternate routes in the area to shorten detour times. Dan R. on Hippie Radio was talkin about how in Oklahoma roads are all laid out in a grid all over the country, and no big thing to get around a road closure. One thing I miss about Oklahoma.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Capt. Espinosa is the oldest one there, far as they know. That's an impressive list of people who served from that area. Yeah I heard about that Highway 50 bridge Friday morning on the radio. Detour to the north is 7 hours and detour to the south is 6 hours. It wasn't widely broadcast but CDOT is planning to allow local traffic to pass through. They were looking into the feasibility of clearing alternate routes in the area to shorten detour times. Dan R. on Hippie Radio was talkin about how in Oklahoma roads are all laid out in a grid all over the country, and no big thing to get around a road closure. One thing I miss about Oklahoma.
Yeah it be a lot tunnels, bridges and basting to ever lay Colorado out in a grid and that'll never happen. Iowa had many ways to get around a mess. Everyone over on Hwy 50 between Montrose and Gunnison should be use to the long way around now after all that work that been going on in that canyon over the last 5 years. I went over that by-pass through Hotchkiss a few times, but that ain't gonna do it with that bridge being down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread