No water

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I finally made it out yesterday to a spot I had never been. I had studied my maps, but when I got there the trickles and pools of water I planned for were not there. I did however fill up a couple buckets from some likely looking spots to bring home. Panned out a little this morning and so far, no color, but not giving up yey. besides it was a great day. Got outa the house, got to drive some dirt roads, talked to a couple deer hunters, watch squirrels and birds do their thing. If there's not a single color when I'm done working this 10 gal of dirt... It will still have been a great weekend.
Anyone else get out this weekend?

Upvote 0

SGTDirk

Sep 2, 2005
Columbia, SC
I had the same problem, When I got there the creeks were all dried up. I must have visited 50 creeks on sunday. Unlike you I didn't bring any dirt back, probly should have, but I was a bit frustrated.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And you know what--there will be a next time. I can tell by the positive attitude you've got that you'll stick to it until you find some color. The whole gold prospecting adventure is a process, one that pays off at some indefinite point. But, when you find your first large flake, your first picker, or your first nugget--you'll never, ever forget it!

Keep at it--learn the secrets of finding gold, and you'll have a lifetime of fun and adventure--even the non-golden moments will be treasured.

All the best,

Lanny

CharlesP

May 18, 2012
Merced/Mariposa
Detector(s) used
Still searching for the right one
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can totally relate. I was having a hard enough tome finding color with water at my spot. Lol. This is my rookie season and my first summer panning. I have had some really terrible buckets and some awesome buckets. But I think the bad ones give me just as many pieces to the puzzle as the ones with gold in them. Good luck.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just to keep you hoping...I did get out for half a day yesterday and found my biggest flake yet in metro Denver! It is 1/8 inch across - not big for some of you I know but a real thrill for me! I also found lots of smaller stuff of course :-). The creeks are sure running here!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What ya need to do is educate and expand your horizons so you cannot go anywhere without profiting. Joins a local gem/mineral and learn to collect minerals. Or get into relics and such as old dwellings are everywhere or get a nice detector as then buried relics and gold are yours also. In 55+ years I've never found a single place where I could not prosper with at least one of these skills in my arsenal..educate and prosper-John

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great feedback from all, and congrats Kevin. I do know the thrill of finding gold in a pan, and that's what got me out on sat. But being new to prospecting in this area, I still have a lot to learn about when an where. I am planning on joining a local club next month when they hold their meeting again, and got a GPAA, membership on my XMas list :-)

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lanny in AB, Kevin in Co, and Hoser John, it's been a while since I joined the forums and made this, my first post/ first thread. I want to thank you all, can't leave out 69Bkpr or Terrry C either. Y'all have given me advise, words of wisdom, and the spirit to search until I found and continue finding gold.
Thanks guys

Last edited:

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Don't forget about learning the geology side of things, that really helps! I did some research on a creek I thought should be good based on the geology of the area the creek drains, and it turned out I was right. Contact zones/ shear zones and gossan's are great keywords to start your research but you might want to get into ore genesis as well and read up on all the different kinds of deposits.

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
I agree with all the excellent advice given here. Far as the no water problem I solved mine by buying a flat bottomed Agricultural tank that fits nicely with the back seats taken out of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I bought the attachements so that I can connect a garden hose to it. Here in the S.W. US water is always a problem so now I am done with it and can run my Gold Cube all day with water to spare. Full disclosure, I am not on USFS or BLM land so I don't know if the LEO's would accuse you of polluting the landscape when you empty your tub with H2O-a known carcinogen (kidding!). Prices vary WILDLY on these,especially on the freight cost. If anyone's interested I can supply all the info here.

Randy

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Astrobouncer, sorry I forgot to mention you as your posts and especially your you tube videos have helped me along greatly.
This learning curve has been a blast, and I look forward to continuing my education as well finding more "and bigger" Au. :-)!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lanny in AB, Kevin in Co, and Hoser John, it's been a while since I joined the forums and made this, my first post/ first thread. I want to thank you all, can't leave out 69Bkpr or Terrry C either. Y'all have given me advise, words of wisdom, and the spirit to search until I found and continue finding gold.
Thanks guys

Here Here!:occasion14::notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions