What's new

Non-US Military Photo Questions

turtlefoot13

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2009
Messages
733
Reaction score
105
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Again,

Can anyone id these uniforms as military or cadet or ? I am assuming military on at least the one because of the company number on the cap. All three images are CDV's so that will give them the approximate date range of 1859-1870's. All three men have swords or daggers of some sort. The one from Romania is really fancy. On the two from Denmark, the men are wearing different belt buckles and the second one has a fancy chain on his uniform jacket. Does anyone know what these differences might signify? If anyone can give any info on these images, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the help,
Doug

soldier001.jpg


soldier002.jpg

I am guessing that these two are soldiers from Denmark since they were taken in Fredericia.

soldier003.jpg

I am guessing that this one is a Romanian soldier since the image was taken in Orsova.
 
Your Danes are wearing bayonets.

Your Romanian is (99% sure) Austro-Hungarian. Orsova was right on the frontier with Romania and Serbia until 1918 when it became part of Romania.
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
Your Danes are wearing bayonets.

Your Romanian is (99% sure) Austro-Hungarian. Orsova was right on the frontier with Romania and Serbia until 1918 when it became part of Romania.

Thanks for the info. I thought they looked like bayonets but I didn't know if they carried them on their belts that way or not. I appreciate your help.

Doug
 
Upvote 0
I like the snake buckle.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I like the snake buckle.

Me too, having seen a few people have found here, it is interesting to see it as worn in a period pic.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Cool link!

OK your Danish uniform, with French style Kepi, is out by 1880.

Some pics... Austro Hungarian guy with the wild pants is near the middle, image #3
 

Attachments

  • Denmark, 1867-95.webp
    Denmark, 1867-95.webp
    34.9 KB · Views: 251
  • Denmark, 1867-95-2.webp
    Denmark, 1867-95-2.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 258
  • Illustrierte Weltkriegskronik.webp
    Illustrierte Weltkriegskronik.webp
    49.8 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 0
"Fodfolket" is Danish for "Infantry"...all i know sorry.

Wish i'd known you all wanted snake belts. We wore them all the time in the 60's as kids! :laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
Iron Spike,

Great link. I appreciate it!

Lucas,

Thanks for the pics!

I really appreciate all of the help that everyone has given me.

Doug
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom