north central Oklahoma

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went camping last weekend. Stayed at a CCC state park. Sat afternoon most of our crew was napping, so I went off in the opposite direction from all the park development into the woods.

I soon noticed several rock mounds, about 5' across and maybe 3' high. They'd been there long enough to not stand out too bad, but definitely not natural. There was earth in between the rocks. I later emailed the park office asking what they were, but got no response.

I went north until I hit a wire fence, then headed west. About 2/3 up a hill, I saw a lone boulder. This is a rocky area, but this one was in an area about 30' around with no other ricks. Boulder was about 4', and looking at it from the east it had the resemblance of a lion's head. What made me think it was more than imagination, is that there was an obvious V/7 mark making the eye. The lichen growing on the boulder didn't grow on the "eye". No fresh tool marks. The lion faced south, so I turned that direction. Naturally my camera and phone were back at camp.

About 20 yards from there, was a trail tree, pointing SSE. This reminded me of the trail tree I noticed the day before near our camp, that would have been in line with the limb of the one I was looking at. Both trees appeared roughly the same age. They are bur oak, I don't know how fast they grow. Trunk was only about 8-10" across.

The 2nd trail tree, the one by our site, pointed into the heart of the park. Family activities and then a cold storm front kept me from exploring any further.

Sound like anything promising? The trees seem to young to be of much significance.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you've found the makings of a trail. As for the trees; you'll need to positivily identify the species and then find out their average life span. Some of the oldest trees in North America are some small oak and juniper trees in the high deserts out west. Some are several hundred to a thousand years old.

That "V" is most likely the confirmation mark and usually points to the main direction indicator. A number "7" can have 2 meanings........it's the code for "gold" and is also used to show a good spot for long layovers on the trail.

If you chose to investigate these things further, then find out all the rules for exploring in that park. Some places you can't even legally pickup a stone and put it in your pocket; much LESS do any digging or clearing any brush that might be in your way.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMcs

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the carved shape of the eye was interesting.

I got permission from the park ranger to metal detect and take anything I found, with the exception of CCC related items.

We'll have to head back out there this year. I'll try to do some research in the mean time.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal, but if I were you, I'd get that ranger to put the permission to metal detect and keep any finds, excluding CCC stuff, in writing and sign it. Or at least, provide you with a copy of the published rules of the park that says detecting is permissible. Too many times, detector users have been blind sided by rangers with shakey memories. Not to mention the archies. Just a thought. Good luck.

OP
OP
TheMcs

TheMcs

Nov 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Shortstack. I actually do have it in writing, with his sig. Well, the permission to MD anyways. If I ever found loot, I can count on my right hand how many people would know about it.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Shortstack. I actually do have it in writing, with his sig. Well, the permission to MD anyways. If I ever found loot, I can count on my right hand how many people would know about it.

EXCELLENT !! And good luck to you. :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread