not a friend of the coil cover

S

skydiv

for the 2nd time in 4-5 years i been detecting i have ran into a lone dry spell, not finding much most of the summer. about 35.00 in clad. since i'm not working anymore i decided to ran a test. I went to a school totlot and a section of the playground. vary few targets but i did find 2-dimes 4-pennies 1- nickel. I went home had lunch and remembered this happened once before so i took off the coil cover and went back to the same place, in the totlot i found 3 deep pennies about 4 inches down and a dime, went back to the section of playground about 30x30. I found 1 quarter 6 pennies and alot of nickel signals but junk. anyway that cover is saying off and i'm going back to places i couldn't find anything. I would like those with the ace 250 and do the same as what i did and report here what you found out. you newbies if your not finding much clad take off you cover and see what happens. be careful not to damage your coil.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
check to see if you have soil trapped in there. mineralized soil will "numb" your detector.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an interesting post as coil covers are supposed to be transparent to the detector's signal. The only thing I have heard that may affect the signal with a coil cover installed is what was mentioned about mineralized soil possibly getting between the cover and the coil. Try detecting with out the coil, then make sure it is really cleaned, put it back on and try again. Then post and let us all know.
good luck
Bill

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
You do have to clean inbetween the cover and coil on occassion and if you do not snap the cove on fully, this can be an issue as well. I found that last week that I did not have the cover on very good and I pulled it off, cleaned it and snapped it back on and it read alot better.

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
This has been an issue for years. I've tried with and without and currently my cover sits on a shelf!!!! It seems every time I use it I have to take it off and clean it out!!!
Greg

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Quite a few of the guys who work beaches (myself included) have tossed the coil covers completely. The buildup of sand and dirt inside is much more pronounced when working in the water and sand. Some have suggested running a bead of silicone around the cover to "Seal" it - this doesn't work.

GO to a hardware store and get a 2 part marine epoxy. clean your coil, mix the epoxy and apply it in a thin coat on the bottom and sides of the coil. This will protect the coil, and not let anything inside to interfere with the signal. when you scratch and scuff the epoxy, just clean and apply some more.

This also works with the "spray on truck bedliner". It is not quite as durable, but very easy to apply. For either method, run a strip of painter's tape around the top of the coil - you'll get a crisp, professional looking edge.

steve

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what is the advantage of a coil liner? Are they necessary? I don't use one, and I've noticed that the bottom of my coil is scratched...is that a problem? I don't care about aesthetics, I just want the detector to work the way it's supposed to.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
The advantage of the coil cover/epoxy liner is the wear and tear on your coil. It is plastic, and just like everything else, it wears out. The cover gives a little more protection against the continual scraping, rocks etc, and just an extra layer of protection for the coil.

Aesthetically, it doesn't do a whole lot, but over the course of the life of your detector, those little scratches can get a lot bigger. for the amount of time it takes to paint on the epoxy, spray on the liner, or (if you choose to use the factory, plastic cover) clean the coil cover, it is well worth using something to add protection to the coil. I remember buying an excellerator coil for my DFX several years ago (about $200). The first thing I did was cover the base with epoxy to protect it. It was too big of an investment not to.

steve

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Hey, Spez, thanks for the tip and the info. Currently I don't use a cover for my DFX, mainly because I never knew the real reason behind them. I like the idea of the marine epoxy. Did you do that also with your Excalibur? If you have the new 12" inch coil for the DFX, did you also hit it with the epoxy?

Thanks,
Mel

borninok

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
borninok
I have used the epoxy on every machine and coil I've owned in the last 3 years, since getting the tip.

The first one I did was my surfmaster PI. (sold it after I got my first Excal)

I did the stock coil (9.5), the 1400DD, and excellerator coils for my DFX. (sadly, that machine was destroyed in a car accident last Halloween :( )

I did the coil on my first excal (excalibur 1000). That one was destroyed in the same accident as my DFX >:( . Needless to say, I was slightly annoyed when the insurance company offered me $300 total for BOTH detectors.

When I replaced my excal (with an 800 this time) I also got a 15" WOT with the waterproof connectors. Both coils now have the epoxy coating.

steve

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
Tks, Steve.....geez....remind me not to loan you any of my detectors...LOL....bummer...

These are the tips that I really like to see on TNET....for us "newbees" it really helps to learn these things.
Thanks again,

Mel

borninok

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember to apply the epoxy lightly as to not apply to much weight to the coil.

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
luvsdux said:
... Try detecting with out the coil....
good luck
Bill

deffinately wont get any false readings that way! ;)

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the tip-I'm glad that there's a place where questions are answered and advice so freely given. It's an awesome place to be. :-*

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
"Remember to apply the epoxy lightly as to not apply to much weight to the coil."
Sandman, glad you said that. I was just getting ready to send a PM to you to check on it. Is there a better brand than another?
--Mel

borninok

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I clean mine out about once every week or so. We have a lot of black sand here, which is basically hot rocks ground down to sand. Black sand is magnetic also, so you can imagine what it does to your detectors performance. Strangely, it seems like it's only the black sand that gets inside.

Paul

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I did some air tests, and no difference.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have air tested my machines with without coilcover and i dont see a difference.I would much rather replace a coil cover than a coil.
And taking the coil cover off will not get rid of false signals.
Also if your coil is new and under warranty i would be careful about changing it in anyway,as the manufacturer could refuse to honor the warranty.Usually somewhere it states that it has to be in original condition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread