Not a Whitworth

Joe G from Md

Dec 23, 2017
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000Di Pro plus/ Whites 5900/ started with Whites 4900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently made a post on some of my fired bullets from Antietam, two of my fellow diggers identified one of the bullets on the plate as a fired Whitworth, I sure do wish it was, just my luck it is a fired swagged bullet. It does raise a question to me that being it looks like a smaller cal. all five bullets are the same, swagged or pressed and turned. Why do you think it is so elongated?

Attachments

• 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    726.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 067.JPG
    067.JPG
    600.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 068.JPG
    068.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    853.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 071.JPG
    071.JPG
    377 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
It is not a Whitworth. The telling is in the ring near the base. Whitworth's did not have a ring on them.

I know it is not a Whitworth it is a fired swagged bullet!

hmmm take it easy..lol calm down.whitworth or not AWESOME FIND!!

Buddy I found one just like it down your way also I might add. It looks like it was fired out of a breach loader.

It is not a Whitworth. The telling is in the ring near the base. Whitworth's did not have a ring on them.

Yea , I did not notice that in the original picture.

I recently made a post on some of my fired bullets from Antietam, two of my fellow diggers identified one of the bullets on the plate as a fired Whitworth, I sure do wish it was, just my luck it is a fired swagged bullet. It does raise a question to me that being it looks like a smaller cal. all five bullets are the same, swagged or pressed and turned. Why do you think it is so elongated?

I was wondering if you were going to "Confirm" i'm glad you did..

My best 'guess' is that the bullet was fired in a smaller caliber bore ??? Like a Carbine or something.???
Still some nice finds.
Thanks for the extra pictures .
Davey

I did not read your reply before I posted , 'Great minds think alike' if the breech loader was used , i'm guessing it was desperate times.???

Hope yr well & I love my G2+ , now that I have learned it.
Davers / Buddy

BTW its kind of an odd bullet. I don't think I've seen many like this.:hello:

I found this strange swage base bullet at lapans cross roads years ago buddy. Its .52". Its dang close to what you found. The only thing I can guess is it was shot out of a breach loader. 15615180303160.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back