Not an artifact

goodtime

Apr 14, 2009
Nebraska
This is a surface find of mine from a few years ago. Although it isn't an artifact I still display it along side some of my favorite finds that are. Thanks for looking. IMG_0930.JPG

Upvote 0

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting, I would've kept it as well. It looks like some Ft. Payne chert I used to find in North Alabama going by the colors.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a pretty good stash of ivory and that sure looks like ivory to me. It does seem to be in too good of condition for a surface find though. Square one end and polish it and you should see the Schrager lines and you'll be able to tell if it's mammoth or elephant. Gary

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, long time! May we have a few more pics please. That looks like a good ref. piece, like Todd says.

OP
OP
goodtime

goodtime

Apr 14, 2009
Nebraska
You guys nailed it. It is what it is, and yes, a surface find. Definitely a small piece of fossilized mammoth tusk. The schreger lines were showing when I picked it up and I haven't as much as rinsed it off since I found it. Bark 3.jpg

antmike915

Silver Member
Apr 20, 2020
SW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The blue/ gray threw me off in the 1st pic; now seeing the last pic it's definitely ivory. Nice find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread