Not clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think we were debating the benefits of technology, but rather its image as a panacea for all of our current problems

Technology is best utilized when thought of as a tool, not a panacea. It has helped us survive many a crisis through the history of humankind, and it will help us with our latest and biggest one, the severe overuse of the Earth's natural resources for all the wrong reasons.

Continuing to utilize fossil fuel to serve a population that is many times what it was when fossil fuel first came upon the scene, is not practical. Fossil fuel goes through a long and wasteful process before it becomes useful to us in the form of energy. Solar power converts instantly, and right on the spot.

Don't suppose the relative volumes of Gas vs Electric would have anything to do with that number, do ya ?
Hell, wait till Hollywood gets wind of the potential.......or Michael Moore.....

But so far, no one has suggested I should install a gasoline powered generator, let alone a Pinto in my basement.

Were you not insinuating something by posting that clip of a Tesla self-immolating?

As if internal combustion engines didn't have their own flaws, and proportionally even more so because of the many moving parts involved as well as hazardous fluids.

Here's one I personally witnessed:

fire.JPG

Technology is best utilized when thought of as a tool, not a panacea. It has helped us survive many a crisis through the history of humankind, and it will help us with our latest and biggest one, the severe overuse of the Earth's natural resources for all the wrong reasons.

Continuing to utilize fossil fuel to serve a population that is many times what it was when fossil fuel first came upon the scene, is not practical. Fossil fuel goes through a long and wasteful process before it becomes useful to us in the form of energy. Solar power converts instantly, and right on the spot.
You are correct, however, solar and wind power cannot support major industrial processes, currently, only nuclear can do that

Here's something a bit more pressing to worry about. Midwest farmers have only been able to get about two thirds of their normal crop of corn and soybeans in. And what is in is not doing all that well. Better stock up on a few things.

You are correct, however, solar and wind power cannot support major industrial processes, currently, only nuclear can do that

At present, yes. But as I pointed out, the sun gives us way more energy than we could possibly need. It hits the Earth with 35,000 times the amount of energy we consume.

If we covered the purple square in the picture below with solar panels, we would have more than enough electricity to power this country.

I am sure we will figure out the technology to harness .00035% of the energy produced by the sun.

102307-0833-howfarcould11.jpg

At present, yes. But as I pointed out, the sun gives us way more energy than we could possibly need. It hits the Earth with 35,000 times the amount of energy we consume.

If we covered the purple square in the picture below with solar panels, we would have more than enough electricity to power this country.

I am sure we will figure out the technology to harness .00035% of the energy produced by the sun.

View attachment 1733524

images.jpg

Were you not insinuating something by posting that clip of a Tesla self-immolating?

As if internal combustion engines didn't have their own flaws, and proportionally even more so because of the many moving parts involved as well as hazardous fluids.

Here's one I personally witnessed:

View attachment 1733399

Not insinuating.....the car was parked and presumably on it's charge cycle, just as it might be were it parked in your garage at home overnight. No fossil fuel involved..... but modern storage battery technology similar or the same as what is also being promoted by Tesla and others for in home storage of juice derived from solar or wind generation. High capacity/ high output systems which require sophisticated electronics for control of charge and discharge rates, along with elaborate cooling systems to prevent overheating and explosions. They are far from simple or hazardous chemical/materials free as you seem to believe.
I've seen a number of car and truck fires myself, including one due to a collision where three died in a bus that was involved. Motorcycles too.
In all the others, the drivers and passengers had time to escape, either on their own or with assistance of others. Had that Tesla in the video been occupied, there would have been neither time to escape the flames, or any possibility of help from bystanders.

Last edited:
Not insinuating.....the car was parked and presumably on it's charge cycle, just as it might be were it parked in your garage at home overnight. No fossil fuel involved..... but modern storage battery technology similar or the same as what is also being promoted by Tesla and others for in home storage of juice derived from solar or wind generation. High capacity/ high output systems which require sophisticated electronics for control of charge and discharge rates, along with elaborate cooling systems to prevent overheating and explosions. They are far from simple or hazardous chemical/materials free as you seem to believe.
I've seen a number of car and truck fires myself, including one due to a collision where three died in a bus that was involved. Motorcycles too.
In all the others, the drivers and passengers had time to escape, either on their own or with assistance of others. Had that Tesla in the video been occupied, there would have been neither time to escape the flames, or any possibility of help from bystanders.

Charging would probably be the one instance where an electric car might be least safe.

However, I don't know anyone who would sit in their car for hours while it charges.

And as I pointed out... proportionally-wise, gasoline powered cars catch on fire more often than electric cars do.

Charging would probably be the one instance where an electric car might be least safe.

However, I don't know anyone who would sit in their car for hours while it charges.

And as I pointed out... proportionally-wise, gasoline powered cars catch on fire more often than electric cars do.

Hours ? Ever heard of "quick charge", or the banks of charging stations meant to make electrics more attractive to potential buyers ?

How about as little as 18 minutes and 2000 horsepower.
Although I would have to strike oil in my backyard to be able to afford this latest technology, or already be a oil-billionaire, like the Saudis who will likely fill out the order book, it sounds like it'll be quite the ride........

Still wouldn't park it in any garage that wasn't detached from where I or my family would sleep.

Last edited:
Hours ? Ever heard of "quick charge", or the banks of charging stations meant to make electrics more attractive to potential buyers ?

How about as little as 18 minutes and 2000 horsepower.
Although I would have to strike oil in my backyard to be able to afford this latest technology, or already be a oil-billionaire, like the Saudis who will likely fill out the order book, it sounds like it'll be quite the ride........

Still wouldn't park it in any garage that wasn't detached from where I or my family would sleep.

As I understand it, quick charge isn't widely available at this point, and certainly not stable or safe enough for garage installation.

As a matter of fact I'm not sure who came up with the brilliant idea of putting a charging port in a parking garage with the technology not refined or safe enough at this point.

Shouldn't stop the technology from evolving, though.

Pitfalls and setbacks have never, and will never stop technology from evolving.

There’s really no comparison If one electric car burnt up it would be enough to say there unsafe and the gas car is the safer option. Millions of gas cars to very few electric’s.

babymick1

There’s really no comparison If one electric car burnt up it would be enough to say there unsafe and the gas car is the safer option. Millions of gas cars to very few electric’s.

babymick1

How many gasoline fueled vehicles have burned up in accidents? Thanks in advance.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee2:

Since we are on a roll with this.....
How many fires are caused by electrical issues in vehicles, including aircraft..... AND buildings.
Those won't be eliminated by solar/wind etc., but to that total we will now be able to add battery self-destruction as another cause.

Since we are on a roll with this.....
How many fires are caused by electrical issues in vehicles, including aircraft..... AND buildings.
Those won't be eliminated by solar/wind etc., but to that total we will now be able to add battery self-destruction as another cause.

And subtracting a great deal of fireballs as internal combustion engines are eliminated.

In other words, life goes on.

And subtracting a great deal of fireballs as internal combustion engines are eliminated.

In other words, life goes on.

What ?
And give up all them $300.00 noisy flame spouting muffler thingies......no way !!!
Keeps them dam tailgaters back aways. Not to mention the bikers.

pintos are fine as long as you dont get rear ended in it:occasion14:

Back in 1973 a co worker got a Pinto Wagon for a
company car. He had the shocks replaced and radials put on it and sent the expense report to our boss. Our boss told him to authorize that he would have to drive it him self. Buddy told him to come on down as he was going to start using his own car then. The boss went down there and drove it and came back and signed off on the expense report. Said it didn't drive like a Pinto at all. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back