Not clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.
And subtracting a great deal of fireballs as internal combustion engines are eliminated.

In other words, life goes on.
I'd rather have something that I can change the plugs on and have a chance to fix in the field 30 miles or more from a repair shop than an Electric car with dead batteries. LOL
At least I can tell by the gas gauge when to turn around to get to a gas station. Those are easier to find than a charging station. IMO

I'd rather have something that I can change the plugs on and have a chance to fix in the field 30 miles or more from a repair shop than an Electric car with dead batteries. LOL
At least I can tell by the gas gauge when to turn around to get to a gas station. Those are easier to find than a charging station. IMO
exactly....i can duct tape and bailing wire a gas powered car and get home if it breaks

pintos are fine as long as you dont get rear ended in it:occasion14:

That whole story came from ONE THING! One of the bolts that rear seatback to the car was engineered to be 9/16ths (IIRC), but was delivered with a 3" bolt. Instead of stopping production, they just used the longer bolts. With the gas tank being above the rear axle, if you got hit hard in the rear, it could cause the bolt to pierce the gas tank. The solution wound up being to grind off the excess bolt after installation. I used to hotrod Pintos. I have put everything from a turbo 4cyl, small block, and a 460ci Lincoln motor in Pintos. They are awesome!

Mike

There were arguments just like this when automobiles came along - nothing will ever replace the horse and buggy! That was correct to a degree, still used for certain things and certain groups like the Amish. If the electric vehicles prove to be cheaper, they will likely win out. Hydrocarbon fueled engines replaced steam engines on that basis.

That whole story came from ONE THING! One of the bolts that rear seatback to the car was engineered to be 9/16ths (IIRC), but was delivered with a 3" bolt. Instead of stopping production, they just used the longer bolts. With the gas tank being above the rear axle, if you got hit hard in the rear, it could cause the bolt to pierce the gas tank. The solution wound up being to grind off the excess bolt after installation. I used to hotrod Pintos. I have put everything from a turbo 4cyl, small block, and a 460ci Lincoln motor in Pintos. They are awesome!

Mike
I remember a kid did that in High School auto shop, he wrecked it on Central one night and died.

exactly....i can duct tape and bailing wire a gas powered car and get home if it breaks

Not a modern, computerized car, though. If one breaks down, and you pop the hood and fiddle around with it a bit too much, you void the warranty on it.

I remember a kid did that in High School auto shop, he wrecked it on Central one night and died.

Yet, we didn't all go back to the horse and buggy, did we?

We forged ahead and the technology of automobiles got better and better, didn't it?

Same thing with electric cars. We're not going to go rushing back to the internal combustion engine just because a Tesla in a parking garage blew up.

Yet, we didn't all go back to the horse and buggy, did we?

We forged ahead and the technology of automobiles got better and better, didn't it?

Same thing with electric cars. We're not going to go rushing back to the internal combustion engine just because a Tesla in a parking garage blew up.

Betcha the guy who owned that Tesla will....!

Can I expect to see you driving at least a hybrid, next time we show up at the same location ?
Or of course, a full EV if available for rental then ?
Will you be embarrassed if I am, and you are not ?
Will your next Cafe Bike build be battery powered and charged from a solar/wind only power grid ?

Last edited:
i can tell your not much of a mechanic:occasion14:

I've sometimes had to fix or jury rig/bypass something while it was raining or snowing.
Any EV.......no way.
Be like using a hairdryer in the bathtub.

Attachments

• sparky.gif
    sparky.gif
    918.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
i can tell your not much of a mechanic:occasion14:

lol... Dave, you really are a riot.

I've rebuilt several motorcycles, a '70 Lincoln Continental Mark III (it only had a 3 year run) with hidden lights and wipers. I had to get rid of it because I didn't have a garage to winterize it, but I really loved driving it, the heavy weight of the car and the wallowing suspension made for very smooth driving. Even better than most modern cars.

I have been looking for a suitable '70 Chevelle SS with a big block 454, preferably a LS6 if I get lucky.

In the other thread, I posted a picture of a Virago I finished rebuilding. Right now I'm on a 1981 BMW R100RS.

r100rs.JPG

Wired in updated diode board with OEM alternator:

alt.JPG

Now rebuilding the entire front end.

Now, back to the discussion. Yes, you will void the warranty on any new car if you poke around too much under the hood. Not much you could do in the ways of electronics anyway because you're literally dealing with microcontrollers, microprocessors, ECU, DSP, etc. A modern car will rarely fail, electronics-wise, but if and when it does, you're out of luck.

Last edited:
Betcha the guy who owned that Tesla will....!

Can I expect to see you driving at least a hybrid, next time we show up at the same location ?
Or of course, a full EV if available for rental then ?
Will you be embarrassed if I am, and you are not ?
Will your next Cafe Bike build be battery powered and charged from a solar/wind only power grid ?

When putting together my travel bundle, I always look for an EV, or at least a hybrid to rent- but as of yet, there has not been one available in the Phoenix market so I've had to settle for compact cars which you will recall always gives me trouble because of my big frame.

If it should happen that you rent a EV or a hybrid and I do not, I'll buy you dinner and you can drive me around to save on fuel!

All my motorcycles are gas-powered and will stay that way.

I've rebuilt several motorcycles, a '70 Lincoln Continental Mark III (it only had a 3 year run) with hidden lights and wipers. I had to get rid of it because I didn't have a garage to winterize it, but I really loved driving it, the heavy weight of the car and the wallowing suspension made for very smooth driving. Even better than most modern cars.

I have been looking for a suitable '70 Chevelle SS with a big block 454, preferably a LS6 if I get lucky.

In the other thread, I posted a picture of a Virago I finished rebuilding. Right now I'm on a 1981 BMW R100RS.

View attachment 1735703

View attachment 1735707

Now, back to the discussion. Yes, you will void the warranty on any new car if you poke around too much under the hood. Not much you could do in the ways of electronics anyway because you're literally dealing with microcontrollers, microprocessors, ECU, DSP, etc. A modern car will rarely fail, electronics-wise, but if and when it does, you're out of luck.
deducer,,,new cars with warranties are engineered for failure...but not until the warranty runs out..the manufacturers have done extensive testing on this...new cars seldom break down but when they do you call the dealer you bought it from and make him come get it and fix it......and just because cars are now computer controlled doesn't mean you cant rig them up enough to get home...i've had to do it several times

When I was going out in the hills, I had a 70 Chevy short bed, 3/4 ton, manual trans. Carried a spare Alternator, Starter, hoses, and 2 2.5 gallon Gas cans with side seams. Tried a 5 gallon jerry can and busted the bottom seam on it going over a really rough road. Stopped and put what was left in the tank. Had 2 spare tires, incase I had a second flat while out. All the tires had inner tubes so if I bent a rim, I wouldn't have to change it until back out. Water of course for me and the truck (seprate), Barr's stop leak, and extra oil. Spark plugs, tools, and 2 2 X 12 by 2 feet wood blocks for jack support if stuck in sand. Tried to think of al the different ways to get stuck out in the hills and still be able to get back home, with in reason of course. Can't carry everything. ; ) Not to mention camping stuff and food.

When putting together my travel bundle, I always look for an EV, or at least a hybrid to rent- but as of yet, there has not been one available in the Phoenix market so I've had to settle for compact cars which you will recall always gives me trouble because of my big frame.

If it should happen that you rent a EV or a hybrid and I do not, I'll buy you dinner and you can drive me around to save on fuel!

All my motorcycles are gas-powered and will stay that way.

No time right now to answer.....just stopped at the house after taking off early from work. Gotta shower and change, then head down to the other end of town for a gym session....5th in 2 weeks. The girls talked me into it......so it ain't my fault.

View attachment 1735703

View attachment 1735707

deducer..there is a big difference between a guy that restores bikes and cars and a mechanic...a restorer is basically a glorified parts changer...a mechanic on the other hand can diagnose and repair an automobile..BIG difference...just sayin :occasion14:

deducer,,,new cars with warranties are engineered for failure...but not until the warranty runs out..the manufacturers have done extensive testing on this...new cars seldom break down but when they do you call the dealer you bought it from and make him come get it and fix it......and just because cars are now computer controlled doesn't mean you cant rig them up enough to get home...i've had to do it several times

Next, you'll be telling me you did it with duct tape and bailing wire. :rolleyes:

You could maybe rig something as far as the mechanical aspect of a modern car, but electronics- these are plug and play components that you can't take apart, and you need a $700 diagnostics scanner to even pointpoint what's gone wrong. In other words, you need a computer to find out what's wrong with the computer that's your modern car.

deducer..there is a big difference between a guy that restores bikes and cars and a mechanic...a restorer is basically a glorified parts changer...a mechanic on the other hand can diagnose and repair an automobile..BIG difference...just sayin :occasion14:

lol.. stop.. just stop. Quit while you're behind.

No time right now to answer.....just stopped at the house after taking off early from work. Gotta shower and change, then head down to the other end of town for a gym session....5th in 2 weeks. The girls talked me into it......so it ain't my fault.

Wow, that's good. Hopefully they've also talked you into cutting back on a pack a day as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back