Not much today, but a very POSITIVE outing...(updated)

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to go into town to pick up some kitty food for the wife, so figured I would MD a couple of hours at the soccer field that has been so good to me.. I have gone over the whole thing, but figured I might have missed some things. Amazingly, I have cleaned that place out. Only got one quarter, 2 dimes, and 7 pennies... Then went across the street to the tot lot and found a few clad coins, total was $3.03 for the afternoon... BUT... on the way home, I finally got the nerve to stop by this roadside tavern/bar that I have been eyeballing since I started MD'ing again.. It has a huge grass area around one side, and the whole back, with a huge firepit in the center of it where they have a big bonfire party every weekend, and the place gets packed...
The owner was a really nice old coot, and told me to "knock yourself out" after I introduced myself, my hobby, and asked permission to MD there. He was having a beer with another guy at a table, and after he told me I could, he looked at his friend and said "hell, with all the partying that goes on out there, you will probably find a lot of stuff"... His friend agreed and of course I couldnt thank him enough...
I was going to hit it early sunday AM, as they will have another bonfire on Saturday and Sunday, but I am too excited and think I will get up early and hit it tomorrow... I will, of course, give you all a report tomorrow.. Cross your fingers for me, I cant help but think of how many pocket spills and lost jewelry can happen when people party and get drunk...

Upvote 0
Re: Not much today, but a very POSITIVE outing...

Not bad for just a couple of hours. The new site might work out good at the fire pit, tho probably lot of pull tab or bottle caps. The rest of the area around the old place might be where I would start and save the fire pit for last.
:icon_sunny: HH in 2010 :icon_sunny:

Dang! You will be a happy camper! To think I'm to old to be held upside down and drink from a funnel at a bonfire. Or am I? Best wishes. HH

Dude! You are GUARANTEED to find some great stuff out there! No need waiting for the weekend! Try to clean that place out then it will get replenished every week! How long has that little tradition been going on? How long has the bar been there. I cannot wait to see your post. Ive been researching the old tavern area here in the little town we live in. Haven`t had much luck!
Good luck to you.

had to pick up some kitty food for the wife. whats the cat gonna eat? ;D good luck but i forsee a million pulltabs wich your going to have to dig. i think this spot is going to take patience. hope im wrong. willy

plehbah said:
To find the gold ring you must stalk the filthy rich drunkard.

The truth...

Sounds like you're gonna have a lot of fun there.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Mike

did you need any help with that one ?
just checking

Dude....does your wife really enjoy cat food? Does she know she is eating that stuff? (My wife likes it sprinkled on top of Jello). :tongue3:

Just joshin'.......Sounds like a super place. Bet the beer tabs will drive you insane though. Don't forget to let us all know how you fair.

Baldingboy

You should ask the old coot if hes got one of those very old corrugated wooden floors behind the bar 1x2 wood the entire length of the bar ? a place i used to pass time at back in the mid 60,s on a beach The Shell bar & lounge it was a biker bar :icon_pirat: when you walked in there you knew it was a bar, built back in the 1920,s it went dry in the 1970,s and up for sale the new owner ask a bunch of us if we help clean up the place we started by pulling up the corrugated floor which by the way was never lifted until that day it was 80 foot long by 10 foot wide 4 inches high we needed crow bars to get it unstuck over 50 years of spilled beer and old saw dust mix :laughing7: and dropped change i mean thousands of coins we needed a shovel !! to get the coins off the floor not to mention jewelry !! dropped into those 1x2 slots of wood ,if we only knew properly half the coins where SILVER !! :dontknow: we just dumped each shovel full into a 5 gallon bucket and that was last i saw it >:( HH Jim

Just go for it.

Does that really work??.....I'm gonna have to try it sometime...."Honey, I'll be back in 7hrs...Im going for kitty food" :laughing7:

sounds like you've got a nice hunting site there...can't wait to see the finds!! HH :icon_thumright:

eastonpahere said:
Does that really work??.....I'm gonna have to try it sometime...."Honey, I'll be back in 7hrs...Im going for kitty food" :laughing7:

sounds like you've got a nice hunting site there...can't wait to see the finds!! HH :icon_thumright:

My thoughts exactly! If I stopped off for a little detecting on the way to pick up cat food. Id probably have cat food upside the head when I finally got home!

Well, I went back to the bar.... What the hell was I thinking??? I guess I assumed that the laws here are the same as in the NW where I am from, that outside beers have to be opened before they are taken outside... Obviously not at this bar! I worked for about 2 hrs before giving up, there are so many bottle tops that with my DD 6X10 coil I cannot even distinguish where one signal ends and the other one starts... Everywhere around there.... I KNOW there are going to be good finds there, but I think it is impossible unless I buy one of those little coils like the 5" concentric...
The owner is real nice, and talked to me for awhile.. He said he knew it would be full of bottle caps. Told me that a couple weeks ago when he was mowing the property, that he found a $100 bill lying by the fence.. If anyone has any suggestions on how to tackle this spot, please let me know.. I just know that it has to have jewelry and lots of clad there.. I did find a couple bucks in clad, including one $1 coin (John Adams) that I didnt even know existed.. So that added $1 to the total, which was good...

I hunted a site very similar to yours for a couple of years,strangely I found a necklace exactly like the one you found that turned out to be a fake at my site,what a heartbreak. I would start out by working all the fringes of the area where the signals are more spaced out,you will make a lot of good finds and it wont drive you so insane. Look for little spots where lovers might sneak off too they always lose stuff. As you get more used to the area you can start working into the higher traffic areas. You really have a great site there I would try and buddy up as much as possible with the owner so you can hunt there for years to come,find out what his interests are and bring him a small gift from time to time so he looks forward to you coming. Im also quite certain you would find a lot more stuff with a smaller coil. You really have a great spot there just dont hunt it so much that you get sick of it,I would hunt mine for a couple of hours a week always excited to return,hh...Shoot

If there is a gravel or dirt parking area, give that a go as well. I've found them to be quite productive. HH

Here are a couple pics of this place... As you can see, it SHOULD produce good, but I am going to have to get a small trash coil... I am looking at buying the Eclipse 4X6 as I really like my 6X10 so much...
I think I may give it a try early sunday though, as it has been raining all day, and that should soften the ground up a bit, not to mention that they will also have the bonfires going Friday and Saturday..

Attachments

• Bar1.jpg
    Bar1.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 515
  • Bar2.jpg
    Bar2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 515

shootist said:
I hunted a site very similar to yours for a couple of years,strangely I found a necklace exactly like the one you found that turned out to be a fake at my site,what a heartbreak. I would start out by working all the fringes of the area where the signals are more spaced out,you will make a lot of good finds and it wont drive you so insane. Look for little spots where lovers might sneak off too they always lose stuff. As you get more used to the area you can start working into the higher traffic areas. You really have a great site there I would try and buddy up as much as possible with the owner so you can hunt there for years to come,find out what his interests are and bring him a small gift from time to time so he looks forward to you coming. Im also quite certain you would find a lot more stuff with a smaller coil. You really have a great spot there just dont hunt it so much that you get sick of it,I would hunt mine for a couple of hours a week always excited to return,hh...Shoot
That is some GREAT advice Shootist. You didnt leave out a thing!
I found an 18 K gold barbell shaped nose ring or something but I was always convinced it was lost in a lovers tumble because of the location, just inside the woods in a little clear area at the city park.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back