266.2 KB · Views: 359

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Seal button 1902 - present....13 stars on all of them,neat find and Welcome!!!

Upvote 0

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
When I feel the back of what I hope are coins in the field, I am hoping there is no "Bump" or "scar" in the middle of either side. Most of my coins turn into buttons and slick ones at that.

When I look at the back of this object, I don't see evidence of a shank being attached in the middle. What I think I see are two places where something was attached. So I would say it could be a rosette if the two things attaches to the back were like "posts" or a slide if the thing attached to the back would have been a bar attached at the two points with enough space for a strap to slide through.

So I'm not convinced we've nailed this one yet.

Daryl

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont beleive there was a one piece Great Seal button made so this is probably the "face",of a two piece.Or a Montana stated possibly a Rossette

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Not possible - it is a rosette... check out that link I posted. The rosette "bumps" are on the original piece in question. The size is exact as well.

Untitled.jpg

Upvote 0

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Yep, rosette. I have one that was id'ed here a while back and a couple more have surfaced since. Nice find. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A rosette, huh? I'm getting more interested in buttons every day....wish I could find some.
This particular item, identified as a rosette, would this be tack related? If so, maybe this came off of an old army piece of tack. Perhaps it might be traced even more closely as to when and whom...
Neat find!

Scott

Upvote 0

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice i.d. on the rosette jim :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

aaaaaaa

May 21, 2007
Montana Jim said:
Not possible - it is a rosette... check out that link I posted. The rosette "bumps" are on the original piece in question. The size is exact as well.

Looks like someone tried to solder it back together at some point.. Or would the bar have been soldered to it originally?

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Your right Jim,sorry I didnt see your reply when I posted that

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread