Not sure what this is

crevlett

Sep 29, 2009
I live in tn on a old farm plantation. I found this and I thought it was a civil war breastplate but I have not seen one with the same eagle on the front. It seems to be a all copper peice.

Attachments

• IMG_0960.JPG
    IMG_0960.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_0961.JPG
    IMG_0961.JPG
    194.8 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    266.2 KB · Views: 364
Great Seal button 1902 - present....13 stars on all of them,neat find and Welcome!!!

Upvote 0
When I feel the back of what I hope are coins in the field, I am hoping there is no "Bump" or "scar" in the middle of either side. Most of my coins turn into buttons and slick ones at that.

When I look at the back of this object, I don't see evidence of a shank being attached in the middle. What I think I see are two places where something was attached. So I would say it could be a rosette if the two things attaches to the back were like "posts" or a slide if the thing attached to the back would have been a bar attached at the two points with enough space for a strap to slide through.

So I'm not convinced we've nailed this one yet.

Daryl

Upvote 0
I dont beleive there was a one piece Great Seal button made so this is probably the "face",of a two piece.Or a Montana stated possibly a Rossette

Upvote 0
Not possible - it is a rosette... check out that link I posted. The rosette "bumps" are on the original piece in question. The size is exact as well.

Untitled.jpg

Upvote 0
Yep, rosette. I have one that was id'ed here a while back and a couple more have surfaced since. Nice find. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
A rosette, huh? I'm getting more interested in buttons every day....wish I could find some.
This particular item, identified as a rosette, would this be tack related? If so, maybe this came off of an old army piece of tack. Perhaps it might be traced even more closely as to when and whom...
Neat find!

Scott

Upvote 0
Nice i.d. on the rosette jim :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Not possible - it is a rosette... check out that link I posted. The rosette "bumps" are on the original piece in question. The size is exact as well.

Looks like someone tried to solder it back together at some point.. Or would the bar have been soldered to it originally?

Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Your right Jim,sorry I didnt see your reply when I posted that

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back