What's new

notched something-or-other (help?)

yakker

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
1,666
Reaction score
1,241
Golden Thread
0
Location
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a piece I found in an erosion zone along a local river. Next to a rubble pile (also falling into the river). It has notches all around- except for where it appears to have been broken (still trying to find the other 1/2). Don't know if it will come out in my pics, but there's scratching on both sides. One side has what looks like a 'river scene'. And, yes, it's a stretch. I've been looking at it closely for over 3 years now, and this is the first time I've ever admitted that I actually see something recognizable. What I see are 2 kayak/canoe boats pulled in on a shore/beach with a fire (maybe) on the shore and trees in the near distance. Here's the question (because I know I could just be wishing it there. I also know it may not (probably won't) show up in the pics. Are 'scenes' at all common- or ever seen on small items like this? Anyway, here it is. Laugh all you like, I don't mind. Cool piece no matter what. And I wish I could figure out 'what'...


0307141308.webp 0307141310.webp Just in case someone else wants to understand what my eyes see, the 2 boats are on the lower left. Beach is on an angle from lower left to mid right. Trees in near distance are the dark patch just above middle, center. I will try again- to get a better pic. Tripod and better light might help. Or a microscope... :) Thanks for looking! Yakker
 
Upvote 0
That is a cool find. I see some scribing in the pic. I can't see enough but can see something.
 
Pics are blurry under magnification. Larson has stick figures on bone so it is possible.
 
Looks like a broken ornamental piece with tally marks. Something like that could certainly be incised with lines as well, but you do need sharper photos. Nice find.
 
Crappy little phone... One more attempt before I give up (and eventually get a better phone or camera...) Yak


0307141428.webp

Thanks for looking... such as it is...
 
That is a better pic. Nice piece
 
That is a nice piece:thumbsup:, what does the back look like?
 
Thanks! And the back looks like concentrated scratches. No image. Made a mistake, and flipped to the other side to try again???


0307141736.webp

I know it's not a good pic. Best I can do right now...
 
Looks to be part of a broken Tally Marked Pendant. Is that the start of a hole in the corner? They may have been going to redrill it and make another Pendant out of it. Very cool find.
 
Very cool, I agree with the others, looks like part of a Pendant or other type of ornamental piece with tally marks. Great find, thanks for the view.
 
Very nice I can't wait to find something like that!!!
 
Hey Grim- thanks- and yes, that is what looks to be a hole, partially drilled. I had always imagined that in the act of drilling, the piece snapped, but I think I like your theory better ;) Yak
 
I would think they would drill it before they decorated it so if it did snap they could just start over. I believe your pice was already finished and then broke later.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom