What's new

NOVA CONSTELLATIO !!!

OWK

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2014
Messages
1,002
Reaction score
1,292
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time out with a new detector (F75... 85th anniversary edition)

Still getting the hang of it, but I guess I'm doing something right. Found a big copper. (although it was only about 6 inches down). In a public park no less. I have found large cents here before, although they have all been mid 1840's to 1850's. Didn't think the site was old enough to find anything earlier.. but obviously it is. This coin is quite toasty. So much so, that I didn't know what I had until I got it home (just 20 minutes ago). It's a NOVA!!!

Been gently toothpicking. And I doubt I'll do much more than that... Still cleaning...but I'm pretty darned sure that's what it is. I know it's pretty rough... but I don't care... It's a NOVA!!!

Nova.webp
 
Upvote 38
another shot
nova2.webp

Rays radiating to a circle of stars, with an eye in the middle.

If anyone knows what this could be other than a Nova Constellatio, I'd appreciate all input.
 
Congratualtions on the old copper recovery! :occasion14:


I love finding the old coppers even more than jewelry (please forgive me) when I hunt; they are my favorite keeper! :icon_thumleft:
 
as the Kool Aid pitcher would say >>>>>>>>>>>>>OH YEAH. F' N AMAZING SAVE
 
Congrats on that sweet coin. At least it has enough detail to ID it. Many old coppers are too toasted to get a good ID.
 
Nice find. Congratulations. Great job on not harming it by over cleaning.
 
Never can go wrong with those old coppers! Great save! Now she needs an olive oil bath to bring out her beauty!
 
Great find, crusty or not, great find!, congrats!
 
Thanks.

I think the variety is 1783, pointed rays, small US.

Interestingly, went back to the same site this morning for 2 hours...

Found two more large cents.

An 1851 braided hair, and an early flowing hair (I think it is 1700's). That makes 6 total large cents I've pulled out of this place, in the last year.

This detector is a largie magnet... (and this site is killer). I am cherry-picking a 5 acre corner of the park that is really not used for anything, and it is awesome.

Now I need an early silver. Will post the other largies later.
 
Nice man! I'm with you on not exactly caring how rough it is, just being able to make out it was a nova is awesome. I'm glad you were able to i.d it. Best of luck out there and happy hunting!
 
THATS A NEET AWS FIND .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom