Nova Red Paint People

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My artifact hunting buddy bought this DVD.I got to watch it this morning.It is an old production but very interesting.It studies the theory of the connection between the red paint peoples of the Atlantic coast and the similar traits of a culture discovered in Norway.Both very similar in tool design ,burial rituals, and spiritual beliefs and rituals...They allowed for the possibilities of their tool designs being the same as coincidence.What got their attention was some of their spiritual rituals including burial rituals.Also on some of their methods of making geometric designs on some of their pieces..They used a connect the dot procedure to make precise designs...There were other similarities.Over all pretty interesting.Pretty strange watching them dig up full channel gouges and plummets in Norway...Also kind of cool that one of, if not the first official archeological dig was preformed in Maine......mjm

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have different ideas but that is one I haven't heard yet. Interesting

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is neat,this picture is taken from a book on Chinese art,the piece was found in china but a couple people posted their finds that they found here that look like this leaf style drawing china 002.JPG

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I loved that documentary. The notion that there was indeed a circumpolar culture is an old one, and at this point in time, the ideas brought out in "Secrets of the Lost Red Paint People" are no longer held in much regard. Very much a minority opinion these days. The similarities in ground slate technology is attributed to independent invention, rather then cultural diffusion. The argument is made that ground slate was simply the best lithic for hunting sea mammals for instance, and hence most circumpolar cultures utilized ground slate for that reason. The shamanic universe was very similar, and that is to be expected in a general way, since shamanic ecstasy techniques are very similar world over. The universe encountered by shamans in altered states of consciousness, in a non-local form of consciousness separate from the body and allowing shamans to traverse this greater universe revealed by these ecstatic techniques, will be similar to some degree. Nonetheless, I think the notion of contact across the Atlantic in what we call the Archaic Era might very well have happened. I certainly would not rule it out. Certainly the Maritime Archaic peoples on this side of the Atlantic were very accomplished deep sea fishermen. They knew how to ply deep water in their vessels.

The Mystery of the Lost Red Paint People | Bullfrog Films: 1-800-543-3764: Environmental DVDs and Educational DVDs

"Did you know that a seafaring American tribe explored the shores of North America 7000 years ago? Or that these ancient Americans rivaled their European counterparts in navigational skills several millennia before the Vikings?THE MYSTERY OF THE LOST RED PAINT PEOPLE follows U.S., Canadian, and European scientists from the barrens of Labrador - where archaeologists uncover an ancient stone burial mound - to sites in the U.S., France, England, and Denmark, and to the vast fjords of northernmost Norway where monumental standing stones testify to links among seafaring cultures across immense distances.

This film represents the first publication in any medium that has synthesized these new discoveries and attempted to draw a picture of the northeastern sea peoples, whom scientists refer to as the Maritime Archaic."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread