Novice Metal Detector needing help identifying/confirming two items

acsok9cop

Sep 14, 2019
Liberty
Detector(s) used
RM Ricomax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone, I found these two pieces in a creek where my small town was first established in the late 1700s. I found the little bracket first and then the bolt a week or so later, but not more than a foot from where I found the bracket.
The best I can figure is that these were attached to either a horse-drawn carriage or a horse-drawn planter.
If anyone can help me with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. If it's indeed what I think it is, could I get a possible time frame? This has the potential to be a huge discovery for my town.
My email information is, [email protected]

Attachments

• Iron Bracket #2.jpg
    Iron Bracket #2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Iron Squarehead Bolt .jpg
    Iron Squarehead Bolt .jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 42

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet. The first piece is just random iron. The second is just as you called it, iron square head bolt with threads. Most all early bolts were square heads. Used widely in early farm equiptment and many other things. By the condition of your bolt I would say late 1800's probably early 1900's.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Square head, or hex head?
Hard to tell from the photo. (Not that it really matters, most likely).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

acsok9cop

Sep 14, 2019
Liberty
Detector(s) used
RM Ricomax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I greatly appreciate your help. After a little more digging we've unearthed several pieces of cast iron, one with some sort of pattern on it. My first thought was that it was a piece of an old wood-burning stove. The dates of the items we've already found match the timeline for when Liberty Springs was just founded. Stand by and I'll show you a few more pieces that we found today, but I'll post them in another message thread.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread