NOW HOW DID THAT GET THERE ??????

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Northern Michigan/Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace400, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger, Garrett Waist treasure bag
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We hit our new honey hole again yesterday evening and today after he got done with work.
I didn't get a chance to clean up our clad until this morning. Thought this coin was some type of plug or token or something.
As I cleaned it I could see writing............. holy moly!

It is a 1 Skilling dated 1825 and it has a hole punched in it. We had to look it up on the internet because we didn't know what it was.
Turns out it is an old Swedish coin.
How in the world did that old coin from Sweden get into Utah dirt? If anyone has any other information on this coin please share.
Chris said it is the oldest coin he ever found. ( My oldest was a 1898 Indian Head)

Second coin is a 1923 (lady head :)) Mercury dime

Metal detecting 3-12 3-13 2017 (4).JPG Metal detecting 3-12 3-13 2017 (2).JPG

It has been an amazing days of detecting even though all I found was a mountain of clad these two times. I do have a handicap though with this bum cast on my left hand.

Edited to include the clad and wheaties
clad from 3-12 3-13-2017 (3).JPG clad from 3-12 3-13-2017 (1).JPG

Attachments

• clad from 3-12 3-13-2017 (4).JPG
    clad from 3-12 3-13-2017 (4).JPG
    740.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Upvote 24

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first off this is a better thread title than your last one!

now about the coin. the hole shows it was a necklace
there was a nice young swedish girl back in about 27 that was looking for a new life in the american west
she was a dancer in a bar in silver city for a few years before she married a miner and moved on to cali in the 40's

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find Ive found some crazy finds like a Jamestown exposition coin from 1907 in Michigan tons of foreign coins. I found a WW2 Hat pin in the woods in Michigan. Just goes to show ya never know in this addiction!!! Hope the hand gets better quick Thanks for the post Keep teari9ng it up!!!!Tommy... Jeff your wrong she ran a Boarding house in Las Vegas before she was run out of town on a rail to Cali!!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
MackinawGirl

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find Ive found some crazy finds like a Jamestown exposition coin from 1907 in Michigan tons of foreign coins. I found a WW@ Hat pin in the woods in Michigan. Just goes to show ya never know in this addiction!!! Hope the hand gets better quick Thanks for the post Keep teari9ng it up!!!!Tommy
We have a couple of un-hunted honey holes in Northern Michigan before us. I am not lying when I say that we found nearly 100 silver coins, rings and other jewelry from one old football field that is not used anymore. Someone told us they had carnivals and picnics there before that. We still find silver everytime we go home to Michigan but they are far and few now.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet find Ive found some crazy finds like a Jamestown exposition coin from 1907 in Michigan tons of foreign coins. I found a WW2 Hat pin in the woods in Michigan. Just goes to show ya never know in this addiction!!! Hope the hand gets better quick Thanks for the post Keep teari9ng it up!!!!Tommy... Jeff your wrong she ran a Boarding house in Las Vegas before she was run out of town on a rail to Cali!!!!!!

yeah but she went with her hubby

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still looking for my football field. I do pretty good, Tell ya these Michigan winters suck!!!!! The good thing there isn't many people detecting where I'm at . Good luck and Karma to ya!!!!!!!! Tommy

IndianaBonesMD

Mar 12, 2017
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
interesting find, very nice.

OP
OP
MackinawGirl

MackinawGirl

Jun 10, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still looking for my football field. I do pretty good, Tell ya these Michigan winters suck!!!!! The good thing there isn't many people detecting where I'm at . Good luck and Karma to ya!!!!!!!! Tommy
Having lived there my entire life until recently I totally understand about the winters. We hated not being able to swing the detectors! I have had my share of awesome finds myself there just using the Ace250 but I tell you.....I love this Ace400. The iron audio and Frequency adjust is so awesome! I get really deep finds. Just not the one the last couple hunts. I did find that sterling ring and earring this year already this year.
Go north Tommy....Lots of battles fought up there. We have researched some spots and did overlays to find some cool places.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I will this summer, finds are getting scarce here in A2 Thanks for the advice I'm always willing to go where the good finds are!!!!!!!!! I got the At Pro with the Nel coil which is only good where there isn't lots of trash.. then I use my smaller coil which doesn't go as deep!!! I still hit it in the winter as long as its above 32 and the ground isn't frozen!!!!! Thanks for the advice Ive done research here and theres not a lot of history I'm going to do some research on Nprthern Michigan while I listen to Art Bell coast to Coast that's when I do my best research!!!!! Thanks ,,,,Tommy

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IM IN THE MONEY. NICE SKILLING MUST HAVE BEEN GOOD LUCK CHARM MAYBE NAILED TO A BUILDING OR OTHER STRUCTURE..

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Great Grandfather tended lighthouse in Copper Harbor, in the UP of Mich. in the 1870's . I left Mich. in 1981, was never aware of metal detecting in all the years I lived there. Well, opportunity lost. You have some REALLY great finds, and I know there are going to be many, many more. Yep, your hooked, as are we all. Love it.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DΓ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some nice finds! Two days and all those coins! Now that's a Honey Hole!!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Mackinaw! As far as your silver-laden field of dreams...we all dream of those! I sniffed out an OLD picnic grove 30 mins from me, contacted the caretaker and obtained permission...I was licking my chops all the way there...but..alas, not to be...NO silver, but a lot of clad, a couple religious items and about 300 lbs of beer caps...MG, congrats on your excellent day...Ddf

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on all the coins and the very interesting Skilling coin! :occasion14:

mooncusser

Sep 1, 2016
salisbury maryland
Detector(s) used
garret a/t pro whites v3i whites treasure pro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Many swedes came to the U.S to mine in the 1800s . JEFF-GORDON is likely right some BIG swede probably had it around there neck. Many coins had holes punched through them so they could be tied inside pockets to prevent loss.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy! You keep digging like that, one handed, and you're going to need a cast on the other hand! ;)

Nice!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions