I don't think it's about hating them. I think it's more along the lines that some people just enjoy killing innocent creatures strictly for the fun of it. The fact that Opossums are extremely docile creatures makes them vulnerable to a lot of abuse. If it's not people getting them, it's peoples dogs. I know a lot of folks just look at them as big rats but they aren't that at all. Opossums are natures sanitation engineers. They help maintain a clean and healthy environment. They eat all types of insects including cockroaches, crickets, beetles, snails and slugs. They catch and eat rats,
roof rats and mice and they consume dead animals of all types. (carrion) They also love rotting fruits and berries. They just walk around all night cleaning things up. They have a hard time in the winter so I put cat food out for the three I have here. They eat their meal, take a drink and then leave. They never fight with my cats either. They are just the sweetest things.
And if you ever see one with bubbly clear snot coming out of its nose it's not sick, that's what happens when they are frightened.