Now thats a lot of possums!!!

OMG that is so cute!!!! They hang on for dear life because once they fall off the mom, she doesn't wait for them. They are then on their own. Great video Ian ;D

FelineBossyElf said:
OMG that is so cute!!!! They hang on for dear life because once they fall off the mom, she doesn't wait for them. They are then on their own. Great video Ian ;D

That explains their tight grip :laughing7:. Do possums normally have that many babies?. Glad you enjoyed the vid :icon_thumleft:.

Great video and interesting facts . Unfortunately this one wasn't playing Possum .Found it earlier this year at the base of my backyard fence . It had a few deep scratches on its underside but nothing that looked like it would have killed it .

Attachments

• possum.jpg
    possum.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 243
Cool, I like possums. They can't live here due to the climate. Once we had a delivery truck come in to the store and I got called back because the unloaders found a 'strange animal' on it. And I of all the people there knew it was harmless and a possum. (Well, they put on a big act when cornered) I told animal control to send it somewhere down out of the mountains, so I hope he made it ok. I got some recipes for cookin possum if y'all need them, what with the holidays comin up and all, and family comin in. A delightful alternative to the green bean casserole. They're a little greasy, but you can work around that.

RGINN said:
Cool, I like possums. They can't live here due to the climate. Once we had a delivery truck come in to the store and I got called back because the unloaders found a 'strange animal' on it. And I of all the people there knew it was harmless and a possum. (Well, they put on a big act when cornered) I told animal control to send it somewhere down out of the mountains, so I hope he made it ok. I got some recipes for cookin possum if y'all need them, what with the holidays comin up and all, and family comin in. A delightful alternative to the green bean casserole. They're a little greasy, but you can work around that.

Thanks for the offer of a recipe, but we don't have possums over here. I'll just have to stick to the normal tucker :laughing7:

hammered said:
That explains their tight grip :laughing7:. Do possums normally have that many babies?. Glad you enjoyed the vid :icon_thumleft:.

Opossums will give birth to between 6-25 young one to three times a year, usually between January and July. Of these no more than 13 will survive because the mother only has 13 teats with which to feed them. Each baby (joey) will latch onto a teat, and those who do not secure a place in their mother’s pouch will starve and die. Male opossums are called jacks, and females are called jills. Also, opossums are immune to the bite of rattlesnakes and copperheads and they do not carry rabies.

FelineBossyElf said:
hammered said:

Opossums will give birth to between 6-25 young one to three times a year, usually between January and July. Of these no more than 13 will survive because the mother only has 13 teats with which to feed them. Each baby (joey) will latch onto a teat, and those who do not secure a place in their mother’s pouch will starve and die. Male opossums are called jacks, and females are called jills. Also, opossums are immune to the bite of rattlesnakes and copperheads and they do not carry rabies.

Thanks for that Mia, until today I didn't realise Opossums were marsupials, let alone the snake bite resistance or, more importantly, not being carriers of rabies. An amazing little creature for sure :icon_thumleft:.

Yup, they are the only marsupials native to North America. It's a shame people treat them so badly because they are very beneficial to the environment.

OK, another stupid question :laughing7:. They can have up to 13 survivers per litter and up to 3 litters per year, are there lots of them?.

No, not really. They have a lot of enemies, man being their worst. They usually only live a couple of years in the wild.

FelineBossyElf said:
No, not really. They have a lot of enemies, man being their worst. They usually only live a couple of years in the wild.
Yes, I understand the average lifespan is one year. Man is their worst enemy, only for the automobile....it's not like we hate them, (possums), or is it?

fistfulladirt said:
FelineBossyElf said:
Yes, I understand the average lifespan is one year. Man is their worst enemy, only for the automobile....it's not like we hate them, (possums), or is it?

Not being funny, but how could any intelligent person "hate" them, it's not like they have set out to eradicate mankind, we're doing a pretty good job of that ourselves, aren't we?

I don't think it's about hating them. I think it's more along the lines that some people just enjoy killing innocent creatures strictly for the fun of it. The fact that Opossums are extremely docile creatures makes them vulnerable to a lot of abuse. If it's not people getting them, it's peoples dogs. I know a lot of folks just look at them as big rats but they aren't that at all. Opossums are natures sanitation engineers. They help maintain a clean and healthy environment. They eat all types of insects including cockroaches, crickets, beetles, snails and slugs. They catch and eat rats, roof rats and mice and they consume dead animals of all types. (carrion) They also love rotting fruits and berries. They just walk around all night cleaning things up. They have a hard time in the winter so I put cat food out for the three I have here. They eat their meal, take a drink and then leave. They never fight with my cats either. They are just the sweetest things. And if you ever see one with bubbly clear snot coming out of its nose it's not sick, that's what happens when they are frightened. :tongue3:

FelineBossyElf said:
I don't think it's about hating them. I think it's more along the lines that some people just enjoy killing innocent creatures strictly for the fun of it. The fact that Opossums are extremely docile creatures makes them vulnerable to a lot of abuse. If it's not people getting them, it's peoples dogs. I know a lot of folks just look at them as big rats but they aren't that at all. Opossums are natures sanitation engineers. They help maintain a clean and healthy environment. They eat all types of insects including cockroaches, crickets, beetles, snails and slugs. They catch and eat rats, roof rats and mice and they consume dead animals of all types. (carrion) They also love rotting fruits and berries. They just walk around all night cleaning things up. They have a hard time in the winter so I put cat food out for the three I have here. They eat their meal, take a drink and then leave. They never fight with my cats either. They are just the sweetest things. And if you ever see one with bubbly clear snot coming out of its nose it's not sick, that's what happens when they are frightened. :tongue3:

Killing for food is one thing, and I'm not judging, but why kill for fun?, why just run them over with your car?, if you can't avoid them that's one thing, but aiming????. What are "roof rats", pigeons?. And I'm the same when I'm frightened, Oh sorry, "bubbly clear snot", it's different for me :laughing7:.

LOL Ian, roof rats are actual rats not any type of bird LOL. And I don't think people who hit an Opossum while driving do it on purpose. It's when you're driving at night and go around a curve maybe and boom, there it is, you sometimes hit them. I have, I felt terrible. I did turn around and run him over again to make sure it was dead. I wouldn't want to leave it there to suffer :-\ I know it's gruesome but ya gotta do it. It's no different than chopping off a mouses head after I find that my cat has maimed it. I can't stand them to suffer

FelineBossyElf said:
LOL Ian, roof rats are actual rats not any type of bird LOL. And I don't think people who hit an Opossum while driving do it on purpose. It's when you're driving at night and go around a curve maybe and boom, there it is, you sometimes hit them. I have, I felt terrible. I did turn around and run him over again to make sure it was dead. I wouldn't want to leave it there to suffer :-\ I know it's gruesome but ya gotta do it. It's no different than chopping off a mouses head after I find that my cat has maimed it. I can't stand them to suffer

Please Please Please, if you hit me when you are driving just call an ambulance, it's 999 over here :tongue3:.

Possums are very important scavengers. The car-deer accident rate where I live is terrible, there are too many deer. Hunters are not taking enough deer, and where I live it's well-populated farmland, and everyone hunts. Possums do a tremendous job on cleaning up the road kill, and cleaning up the deer shot but not found. Possums will literally "take up residence" inside the deer carcass and "eat itself out of house and home".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back