51.8 KB · Views: 1,465
  • Pict0028.jpg
    Pict0028.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,468
OP
OP
H

history.hunter

I dont know if it is porcelin or enamel. I thought it might have been something used in the kitchen here in the house or in the pantry since both of those rooms were always yellow. The house was completed in 1898.

Upvote 0

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would guess it to be some kind of cover or lid.

Nat

Upvote 0

boomer46901

Dec 28, 2006
Could be a scraper to remove the hog hair after dunking the hog in the boiling water? The dents are probably from dropping it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

history.hunter

No No this thing has no sharp edges to scrape anything. All of the dings on the rounded spot are the same size. like it was struck repeatedly with the same object. It does appear to be enameled. Not porcelin. It has rusted where the enamel was struck.
Note when you are getting ready to scrape a hog. You dont dunk it in water. What we always did was have a big pot of boiling water and poured it on the hog just prior to scraping that side. Then turned the hog over and did the other side. LOL

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

history.hunter

Okay, more details. This THING was found on the bottom of the hole. Down inside of it was some sort of hard crusty substance that has dried to form a shiney (sparkely) substance. It has a peice of stain glass stuck in that substance that I have diligently worked at getting out. It is stuck. I thought the substance was some sort of medication spilled down in there because a lot of the medicine bottles still have medications in them and some of them are empty. Does that help? All the stuff down inside is not rust it's something else.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wooden wheel (wagon or early automobile) hub cover. The marks would be from pounding it into place with the wrong tool.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

history.hunter

wow, these are some really good clues. I think I might go back to the hole and see if that sand in the bottom is really a stone or a cap There may be more clues in the hole. Thanks everyone. Keep guessing!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

history.hunter

There are no screw holes or any holes of any kind. No threads. I an going back to dig may find another clue. Be right back.

Upvote 0

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Could those dents on the top of it be from hits with a pellet/air gun rather than a hammer? They seem to be just chipping the enamel and as a kid on the farm we shot up everything metal and glass.

Upvote 0

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Looks like just a lid for maybe a cannister that was used for nightime relief rather than walking out to the 'house'.You wearing gloves?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread