Oak Island Factual (proven/documented) Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D.Kings article is just rubbish. It has zero evidence to support it and is just a collection of wild assertions and claims. He even goes on to conclude that his theory would not work if it rained…

Take a look at the rainfall statistics for Oak island

There is nothing that has been found that supports his view. Not one historian/treasure seeker that has written about OI gives this article any mention/credience at all.

As posted before here are some comments on specific pieces of his article..

Here is an extract from his article..

An old historic method of making salt from seawater is described by Professor Le Conte as “lixiviating saline sand and then boiling the brine” (10). He records that salt is made by this method on a small scale in Normandy (he published his work in 1862). The tide is allowed to cover beach sand, which dries after the tide recedes, leaving a mixture of salt and sand. The sand is then removed to sheds, then is transferred to pits where seawater is added. The seawater dissolves the salt in the sand, thus increasing the concentration of salt in the water. The concentrated salt solution is then boiled to extract the salt.

If this was his theory this would suggest that after each tide they now had to dig up the sand on the beach to get the salt form it. Why would the salt be concentrated on the sand? This is the method that he is basing his theory on. (But later goes on to say it was not done this way and comes up with his own theory which is not based on any other salt making method that he quotes as examples)

D.King himself argues that no solar evaporation of the water was being done to help produce the salt being done on OI

Because of the relatively cold climate of maritime Canada, producing the salt by solar evaporation was not feasible. The only way to manufacture salt economically on Oak Island was to concentrate seawater by one of the known processes used before the 1800s, and then boil the concentrated salt solution.
He claims that there is a natural saltwater spring. I have seen no evidence of this anywhere else mentioned. What is he trying to suggest that somehow next to OI there is a mysterious source of extra salty sea water. If this was the case then the coffer dam would never be dry as the spring would fill it. Why would the "spring water” be any more salty then the rest of the sea. If this spring was outside the coffer dam then it would simply mix with the ocean. Why has no one mentioned this salt water spring?

As to this argument

The natural saltwater spring, and/or controlled amounts of seawater through channels in the dyke, would be allowed to permeate the sand on the artificial beach by capillary action. Wind and sun would dry the sand leaving a mixture of salt and sand. The process would be repeated at regular intervals until there was a considerable quantity of salt in the sand. In the meantime the tides would be kept off the beach by the dyke. Once sufficient salt had accumulated in the sand on the artificial beach, a larger than usual but still controlled inundation of seawater at high tide would be allowed through the dyke, covering the beach and dissolving the salt in the sand as the water dripped through the coconut husk and eel grass layers down through the rocks and through the finger drains to the well. The purpose of the coconut husk and eel grass layers was to sieve out any sand and silt from the concentrated salt solution before it reached the well.
There is no explanation as to why this process would concentrate salt on the beach. There would have to be at least 5-7 foot of water allowed into the dam to get to the top of the beach. This would mean any salt sand would just be exactly the same as the sea water... Why would water that dripped to the drains be anything other than just sea water? The drains were meant to be covered with flat rocks so how would the water drip into them anyway? Why would sea water that was not directly over the drains drip into the drains rather than just flow back out to sea when the tide went down? How would those drains catch saltwater form the parts of the beach that are not near the drains?

D.King next statement is now a complete NEW method of alleged salt making and is not based on any other method ever used
Oak Islands salt works where I believe the salt-sand mixture was not moved at all but instead left in situ with the concentrated salt solution being produced by allowing fresh seawater to drain through the salt-sand mixture (dissolving the salt therein on the way) and then through the finger drains to accumulate as a concentrated salt solution in the well.
If fresh sea water is allowed over the beach then the salt concentration on the sand is going to be exactly the same as the sea water it mixes with.

As shown from this source

Believing now that the flooding tunnels were connected to the sea, men scoured the island's shores. At an area known as Smith's Cove, they found a fascinating structure. The company built a temporary dam, called a cofferdam, to uncover a large overlay made of coconut husk, 145 feet wide and the length of space between low tide and high tide. Underneath the coconut husk was a layer of beach stones five feet deep. Beneath the beach stones were five finger-drains constructed of flat stones, converging into a single drain. The coconut husk worked as a barrier against sand to allow water into the drains.
However, soon after the company found the mysterious finger drains, a storm hit and destroyed the cofferdam. The company then decided to dig shafts between Smith's Cove and the Money Pit in an attempt to intercept and divert the seawater away from the Money Pit. However, after failing to reach water in this shaft, and after digging several more, the company ran out of funds and gave up.
Source: https://people.howstuffworks.com/oak-island2.htm

referencing this book: https://books.google.com.hk/books?id=yo_xAgAAQBAJ&redir_esc=y&hl=en

This setup would give that beach incredible drainage. No salt would sit on the sand as any water would drain Away as soon as the tide went out.

This just seems totally without any logic and in contradiction to things said earlier in the article.

If there was indeed a saltwater spring at Smiths Cove, then the area and depth of the artificial beach was deliberately chosen to be large enough to ensure saltwater from the spring would spread via capillary action over a sufficiently large volume of sand that natural evaporation of the saltwater would be complete before the water got through the layers of coconut husk and eel grass so no water would in fact get through to the well from this source.
This is a cold climate and this beach has excellent drainage. How would this evaporation occur in seconds?

Also he's speculations about rain water do little to support his own theory for the same reason. What evaporation…

However, what about rainfall falling on the beach? The depth of the sand (about two feet or 60 centimetres) seems sufficient to ensure that the water from a light to medium shower would evaporate before reaching the coconut and eel grass layers, so no problems. But a heavy downpour would admittedly result in the rainwater seeping right through the artificial beach and into the finger drains and so into the well.
This is why D.King theory is not even mentioned by any other authors who have studied OI and speculated as to the artificial beach..

I believe the beach was created to dry seafood for the fishing/naval stores/timber etc industry that existed on OI

Here is a picture of fisherman drying fish on the beach in Nova Scotia as was common practice

https://novascotia.ca/archives/dennis/archives.asp?ID=1585

fish drying.jpg

I agree with J.Steeles speculations that the coffer dam was meant to keep Smith Cove dry and something was setup there ie a crane for helping load/unload the ships. The finger drains were to drain out the coffer dammed cove from rain/seepage etc during a high tide. Thus they had to drain the water back onto the island as it would be impossible to drain out to sea at higher tides.. It may even be the sump they found the drains led to was needed to help the industry operating there. Ie a source of close water to put out fires from the tar kilns if the exploded...

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
This Picture May Be from Nova Scotia...But Not Oak Island!

I believe the beach was created to dry seafood for the fishing/naval stores/timber etc industry that existed on OI

Here is a picture of fisherman drying fish on the beach in Nova Scotia as was common practice

https://novascotia.ca/archives/dennis/archives.asp?ID=1585

View attachment 1551564

I agree with J.Steeles speculations that the coffer dam was meant to keep Smith Cove dry and something was setup there ie a crane for helping load/unload the ships. The finger drains were to drain out the coffer dammed cove from rain/seepage etc during a high tide. Thus they had to drain the water back onto the island as it would be impossible to drain out to sea at higher tides.. It may even be the sump they found the drains led to was needed to help the industry operating there. Ie a source of close water to put out fires from the tar kilns if the exploded...

Just like this is "Not" a Picture of Nova Scotia Gold Mining on "Oak Island".

Nova Scotia Gold Mine.jpg

Smith Cove was not the preferred docking of ships at Oak Island as it was shallow.

The North end by Nolan's property is the deepest part of the island and more suitable and likely for ships to dock.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smith Cove was not the preferred docking of ships at Oak Island as it was shallow.

The North end by Nolan's property is the deepest part of the island and more suitable and likely for ships to dock.
True.. But as shown by this picture with the pier built here at Smith Cove so ships could dock. There was a need to have the ships not come in to close. The Coffer Dam could of been serving a similar purpose to allow ships to get close enough to Smith Cove at a heigh tide...

Oak Island - Dam.jpg

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two Hmmm thought about this show. First, if they ever did find anything of great value or historical significance, We would probably hear about it first instead of having to wait for the show to air it. Secondly, If they ever did find the holly grail or the ark of the covenant or even the lost Shakespeare books, I'm pretty sure there would be about a hundred other historical agencies that would descend on Oak Island like a swarm of locus. I also agree with some of the previous post. Marty's already moving on to the next show. Dale hasn't been seen much but that doesn't surprise me since he never really contributed anything anyway except to let everyone know the right cuss word to use and when it was Crown Royal time. I would like to be a fly on the wall in the office of the producers of the show as they try and come up with a way to end the show without ever finding anything, but again, I don't think too many people actually expected them to find anything form the beginning.

NewAge

Jan 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No "good" ones that I know of. Have seen some from the Retalls search and whoever was before them. Though don't think even they tried to follow them all the way back as they were in bad decomposing condition as is... I'm not saying they were for sure used as flood drains just as no one can say for sure they weren't... Add to it that the coconut fibers would have to be brought to the island adds to both theories. I just would have thought that the boiling down method would have been a much better and quicker method to get salt back then, and they did know how to boil water for that purpose. Plus I have never heard how the fingers drains would actually work to get salt. I understand ocean water running into them and as it evaporates then the coconut fibers catch the salt, but you then have to separate that once it all dries out and how do you get the water to the drains? Do the waves just run into them? If so how do they ever get a chance to dry out with the constant waves bring in new water ever 30 seconds?

All the answers to your questions are readily available.

I can't remember the links from when I researched Oak Island years ago but had the same questions you have and easily found the answers.If you really want answers they are not hard to find if you spend some time looking.

#1 Box Drains .......they were followed and stopped dead well short of the original money pit.....thus 100% ending the thought that they were used as some type of flood tunnel.There are decent photos of these box drains available online.

#2 Salt Extraction......the Chinese and other cultures have used systems very similar to what has been found on Oak Island to extract salt from water.The Chinese used rocks,coconut fibers and seaweed in a drain exactly like what has been found at Oak Island

#2b Salt Extraction.....There is or at one time was remains of an old furnace near the money pit.Once again I found photos of this online.Pointing heavily towards salt extraction as the purpose for the work that was done in Smiths Cove.They are not going to show you the remains of this furnace on the show if it is still there because it doesn't fit in with their theory of ancient Templar treasure.

There is a site I had found that had posted reports from some of the treasure recovery efforts back to their investors and they are very intresting to read.

I am not going to try and find all theses links again because I satisfied my curiosity about Oak Island a long time ago.Unless something new is found that casts doubt on what I think was the purpose of the box drains.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#2 Salt Extraction......the Chinese and other cultures have used systems very similar to what has been found on Oak Island to extract salt from water.The Chinese used rocks,coconut fibers and seaweed in a drain exactly like what has been found at Oak Island
This is just plain untrue. NO ONE has ever used a method like D.King is suggesting. Show one single example. Did you read anything I wrote.

#2b Salt Extraction.....There is or at one time was remains of an old furnace near the money pit.Once again I found photos of this online.Pointing heavily towards salt extraction as the purpose for the work that was done in Smiths Cove.They are not going to show you the remains of this furnace on the show if it is still there because it doesn't fit in with their theory of ancient Templar treasure.
Salt may of been made on OI as part of the naval stores or timber operations. They had no shortage of wood to burn... But zero evidence has ever been offered. If it was made it was just boiling water like everywhere else in cold climate concentrated salt....

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were gathering salt on Oak Island, why would they be doing it back at the Money Pit. Why have to carry the water that far when you could set up right at the high water line and save time and effort of getting the water. Just because there is/was a furnace there that by no means it was used for salt gathering. Could have been but could also have been to provide heat for searchers. The Restalls worked year round on the island, as many others did so there would be a need to provide heat.. I'm somewhat doubtful the finger drains were used to flood the money pit, but don't see why they would be used to gather salt when the boiling method would have been better, faster and cleaner...

NewAge

Jan 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Gazzahk

l made it quite plain I wasn't spoon feeding anyone with links.

If you don't want to believe it was a salt extraction site that is fine but at least do some research first.

I found a number of articles that clearly described findings of salt works in China that was almost exactly the same as what was found on Oak Island.

I'm not sure how I found them ...... but I probably looked harder then just typing in China and salt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were gathering salt on Oak Island, why would they be doing it back at the Money Pit. Why have to carry the water that far when you could set up right at the high water line and save time and effort of getting the water. Just because there is/was a furnace there that by no means it was used for salt gathering. Could have been but could also have been to provide heat for searchers. The Restalls worked year round on the island, as many others did so there would be a need to provide heat.. I'm somewhat doubtful the finger drains were used to flood the money pit, but don't see why they would be used to gather salt when the boiling method would have been better, faster and cleaner...

One has to remember that there has never been any evidence that a hole called the money pit ever existed. The salt production operations were near the shore as evidence has shown.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
World's Largest Hockey Stick...Found at Oak Island...1945?

True.. But as shown by this picture with the pier built here at Smith Cove so ships could dock. There was a need to have the ships not come in to close. The Coffer Dam could of been serving a similar purpose to allow ships to get close enough to Smith Cove at a heigh tide...

View attachment 1551597

Oak Island - Dam.jpg

Hockey Stick.JPG

Someone Sketches a Dock and All of a Sudden...Poof... It's a Dock!

Last edited:

Silverseeker

Nov 25, 2004
Indian Wells Valley, CA
Food for thought, if millionaires don't have the technology to explore these tunnels in our times, How did people build them hundreds of years ago? Building them would be much more challenging than exploring them. Especially when you think about the point where the "traps" were set to flood the tunnels. They would have to build precise tunnels from two directions. Then create the "trap" while dealing with the weight of the sea water, and the tunnel underneath.

The only other way I can see is to build the trap, then tunnel to the sea. Expecting it to be a suicide mission for all worker, (without running out of air) till they reached the sea.

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Those Who Knew...Are...Those Who Built!

Food for thought, if millionaires don't have the technology to explore these tunnels in our times, How did people build them hundreds of years ago? Building them would be much more challenging than exploring them. Especially when you think about the point where the "traps" were set to flood the tunnels. They would have to build precise tunnels from two directions. Then create the "trap" while dealing with the weight of the sea water, and the tunnel underneath.

The only other way I can see is to build the trap, then tunnel to the sea. Expecting it to be a suicide mission for all worker, (without running out of air) till they reached the sea.

My Theory has the Cornish Miners (who built the tunnels to flood the Oak Island Money Pit) running their Main Tunnel below the 90 foot level straight out past the Coffer Dam to where one sees the Blow Holes located.

Ice Holes - Smith Cove.jpg

At this point (roughly 200 feet from the present shore line today) they branched several tunnels up to nearly 10 feet under the ocean.

Explosive Powder Charges were placed at the end of each of the branched tunnels with a fuse running back towards the Money Pit.

"To ignite the end of each tunnel, they fed an ignition "sausage" out of each tunnel. This sausage was a tube made of linen and filled with granulated black powder that led back to the point of ignition. The ignition sausage, a predecessor of the modern time fuse, was normally laid in a 6-centimeter-wide wooden duct and covered with a board to protect it from moisture or other damage. At the appointed time, the miner ignited the powder in the ignition sausage with an ignition sponge and then retreated quickly before the sponge burned to the powder."

Once the fuse was lit and about to discharge the Miners began to seal the 10 foot distance from the Water Tunnel to the 90 Foot level with Logs, Clay, Dirt, Coir Fiber, and Tar.

The Explosions opened each tunnel to the Ocean's water, but the air lock in the main tunnel prevented the water from coming and flooding the Money Pit Shaft, until this air lock was broken in 1795 by the Original Discoverers.

Similar to how today's toilets function.

P-trap.svg.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing new here. Flood tunnels to the imaginary money pit have been proven to be a hoax and have never existed just as with the money pit hoax. The meaningless, non-factual rhetoric continues....

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it has been proven there was a hole that ended up being named the money pit. That doesn't mean there was any money in it just the name it was given. PEOPLE HAVE SEEN IT..( Dan Blankenship, Robert Dunfield, whole Restall family ) One of ya'll say the salt gathering was done by the ocean, yet another of you say there was a furnace by the money pit and that is where the salt was being gathered. Which one was it???
Who's to say the finger drains didn't funnel water to a tunnel to the oney pit that was not lined with wood. Could have caved in over the 200-300 years that passed from it's origin, and or while attempting to dig it up your caveing it in as you go.

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Gazzahk

l made it quite plain I wasn't spoon feeding anyone with links.

If you don't want to believe it was a salt extraction site that is fine but at least do some research first.

I found a number of articles that clearly described findings of salt works in China that was almost exactly the same as what was found on Oak Island.

I'm not sure how I found them ...... but I probably looked harder then just typing in China and salt.
I have done extensive research and there is no evidence to support what you are saying. You are just making unsubstantiated claims. If you are not willing to support your claims about Oak Island with evidence then please do not make them. Look at the name of this thread Proven documented information.. Not unsupported assertions. There is more then enough of those about Oak island already...

Read my previous post in this thread (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/o...ven-documented-information-3.html#post5708124) about why those claims of that beach being used for salt are just rubbish....

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for one it is not far enough out in the water to do anyone any good. Even if that is low tide you can't dock more then a dingy to it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread