Obvious dumps - Do you bother to search?

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
So I went into a Chase by the office today to asking for halves and ended up with $400 in obviously searched String rolls (opened at one end). I took them so I would have justification to ask them to order me boxes, however I'm debating whether I bother to search these. I just hate restuffed machine rolls as I can never get the coins back in. My thought is save the time and dump them over at BofA and concentrate on the boxes I have coming in.

So what do you guys do? Do you search the obvious dumps anyway hoping to catch something the last guy missed, or do you cut your losses and dump them quickly?

Upvote 0

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the time, why not? Just re-roll in some paper wrappers.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always search them, and occasionally find a 40%er. It doesn't take very long to search 40 rolls. Why not be sure? Odds are you won't find anything, but many of us could make that same argument about our weekly boxes.

optix

Jan 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I search them but I curse the guys that have so much time on their hand as to re-wrap them on the same bank wrapper. Then they tape the crap, place it back in the box and take it back probably to the same bank they got it from.

Maybe I am being sensitive, the other day I was short 200 bucks on my halves and I wonder if one of these crap boxes was the culprit. Moving forward I decided to tell the bank that I am not taking boxes that are not factory seal due to the possibility of being short changed.

tmjones550

Aug 16, 2011
I do now because I made the mistake of not searching through some obvious dumps and my brother went in behind me and found$125.00 face value in 40%rs.The "dump was 500.00 worth ,it must have been someone who either didn't want the 40%rs or just didn't know.I learned the hard way.You NEVER know.ALWAYS search them.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I had what I thought was a dump. $500 of halves, all by one man. Didn't sound good.

Turned out to be some old guy who had collected them and saved them for years, and he did "dump" them, but not from CRH. Found 23 silvers. Not 500 silvers or anything crazy, but to me, 23 silvers is a LOT. (I average one silver every 8.2 boxes out here)

Bottom line is that most of the timew it is a waste. But there's always that chance .... :-)

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
optix said:
I search them but I curse the guys that have so much time on their hand as to re-wrap them on the same bank wrapper. Then they tape the crap, place it back in the box and take it back probably to the same bank they got it from.

+1!!! I hate my local dumper that does this crap! :BangHead: :BangHead:

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Search. Once I had a box that was taped shut. Just knew I had a skunk. As I opened the box I viewed various colored rolls taped--along with different paper types of wrapped rolls. Got 1-90% plus 6-40%. Seems the bank just kept an empty box and added rolls as customers deposited. You never know.

apush :read2:

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would check why not. You never know?? :tard:

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Search them.... I have found silver and other cool stuff like DDOs and proofs in what looked like dumps as well. You probably won't find anything, but who knows...

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gareb said:
optix said:

While I don't believe in taking boxes back to the place I got them from, I often reroll in the same bank wrapper and redistribute the rolls back into the wild. I have tried this method as well as replacing the coins in new wrappers, and for me it's much easier and quicker to reuse the same wrappers. If I pick up others obvious dumps, at least I know what I'm getting as opposed to getting my hopes up and having a big let down at the end. Just my opinion.

optix

Jan 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coincrawlin said:
Gareb said:
optix said:

While I don't believe in taking boxes back to the place I got them from, I often reroll in the same bank wrapper and redistribute the rolls back into the wild. I have tried this method as well as replacing the coins in new wrappers, and for me it's much easier and quicker to reuse the same wrappers. If I pick up others obvious dumps, at least I know what I'm getting as opposed to getting my hopes up and having a big let down at the end. Just my opinion.

My opinion is quite the opposite, I think it is rude to search a box wrap the coins and return the whole box as if it was never opened. At least when they are returned unwrapped, chances are the coins will get mixed with other coins and give other fellow hunters the chance of finding something as opposed to giving them a guaranteed skunk box.

coincrawlin

Sep 13, 2010
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
optix said:
coincrawlin said:
Gareb said:
optix said:

My opinion is quite the opposite, I think it is rude to search a box wrap the coins and return the whole box as if it was never opened. At least when they are returned unwrapped, chances are the coins will get mixed with other coins and give other fellow hunters the chance of finding something as opposed to giving them a guaranteed skunk box.

Maybe I should clarify...I don't return the box as if it was never opened. I don't try to recrimp the ends of the rolls or reseal the box. It is very obvious the box has been opened as have the rolls. I don't have coin counters (which would be my preferred dump method) so everything has to be rerolled, which is really a pain if you want to do any kind of volume. I don't think it matters how coins are returned...a dump is a dump no matter how it looks. If you don't want it, then you don't have to take it.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
If you get them then search them, many here will tell you either silver was found in the dump or with the dump, as a matter of fact today i found a ken 64 in an old wrapped roll that was with a probable dump.

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say at the very least just do a quick edge check on it. I have had a few hundred dollars in obvious dumps, but I found a few 40%ers. Remember, some people who search for silvers only search for 64 and earlier. Some people will say they don't "waste time" with the 40%ers, but hey, silver is silver. If they don't want 40%ers I will take all of their "searched" boxes!

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I do.... I had a friend who works at my pick up branch call me and tell me someone just dumped $600 worth of half dollars and do I want them... For me, I said, of course I want them duh... (at the time, the only reason I wanted them was to dump them somewhere else besides my pick up supply.) But then once I got them, my compulsiveness toook over and I had to check ever roll... I found a modern proof 90% silver half in the middle of one of those rolls, shined so bright, I thought, what a dick, to paint a rim like that, just to be a funny guy.... Imagine my amazement... It wasnt anything crazy, but I'll tell you this, if I could guarantee at least one 90% silver for every $600 worth I search all the time.. Id be doing good...

So, yes, check the dumps.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Just weigh the rolls for 90%ers.. then if not within range.. dump the box. I've gone through so many skunks normally, it's not worth the time to do anymore than I need to.

Aaronscicli

Greenie
Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would look through everything anyway ! just yesterday i got $450 in cwr and they had writing on them and i thought it was a dump . ended up with 19 40%

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread