What's new

Odd CW? eagle button

White Shaddow

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Posted this odd button on a few forums and no one can find it in any books.The shield is off center,the arrows are pointing down,it has a tin back which is there but well never get a makers mark off it.I was told you guys are the best,we'll see.Good luck and Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • may132.webp
    may132.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 618
Its a 2-piece (TIB) tinned iron back. I think Revolutionary War buttons are 1 piece.
 
Upvote 0
Bob I've picked my button I want a CS1. It's ok if it has bent shank as long as the face is nice. Oh wait you said to skip that part ha ha
I showed the button to William Leigh (civilwarbutton.com) a couple years ago and he had never seen one like it He said he thought it might be a mid 1800's patriotic button. I would have to agree as it has all the characteristics of that type button. It's possible it could be political too as some of those were made like the patriotics. It is definetly not a standard military issue button and not rev war. I have shown it to other relic hunters and dealers as well and no one has ever seen one like it. Whatever it is it was probably privately made and in a limited quantity. Not trying to be a smart alek or anything just trying to let everyone know what I know the button is not. I really wish I knew what it was. The two pictured in this thread are the only 2 I have ever seen and I've been dealing with civil war relics for many, many, many, many moons
 
Upvote 0
Dear: Virginia Yankee Born In 1954 ...

All I can say is "bummer!" I just ordered it for myself and it's the last one they had!

Oh well ... maybe next year!

But here's a picture of it that you can put in the Christmas card I'm not sending you!

:laughing7:
 

Attachments

  • CS1.webp
    CS1.webp
    3.4 KB · Views: 230
Upvote 0
Gee Bob Thanks. That made my day. But I really had my heart set on that CS1 :'(
 
Upvote 0
Wow thanks alot. I appreciate that so much that if you send me your address I'll send you all the broken soda bottles I find ha ha
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
vayank54

Just put those broken bottles in a box, give them to the mailman, and have him deliver them to "Bob's Place" ... everybody knows where it is ... just turn left at the old stone bridge.

Sorry, BuckleBoy ... I didn't start this !

I was just sitting here watching the Billy the Kid story on the History channel when my incoming Email notifier beeped! :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • Bob\'s Place.webp
    Bob\'s Place.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 0
traderoftreasures said:
i have a civil war encyclopedia and it has the same artillery button, but it has no stars up top. it is a us regulation
The button you are talking about is a standard Eagle A Artillery button which is actually a fairly common button. The buttons in this thread are not standard issue. William Leigh is one of the best button experts in the field and he had never seen one. I've been digging and messing with relics for 40 years. I have never seen one. I've shown it to guys who have dealt with military items since back in the 40's and 50's They have never seen one. I've shown it to people who have written books on military relics including buttons. None of them have ever seen one. I don't think I need to go on but trust me this is not a standard issue button. It's possbile it isn't even patriotic or political.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
traderoftreasures said:
i have a civil war encyclopedia and it has the same artillery button, but it has no stars up top. it is a us regulation
The button you are talking about is a standard Eagle A Artillery button which is actually a fairly common button. The buttons in this thread are not standard issue. William Leigh is one of the best button experts in the field and he had never seen one. I've been digging and messing with relics for 40 years. I have never seen one. I've shown it to guys who have dealt with military items since back in the 40's and 50's They have never seen one. I've shown it to people who have written books on military relics including buttons. None of them have ever seen one. I don't think I need to go on but trust me this is not a standard issue button. It's possbile it isn't even patriotic or political.
i meant the one in my book was us reg. not this button
 
Upvote 0
traderoftreasures said:
vayank54 said:
traderoftreasures said:
i have a civil war encyclopedia and it has the same artillery button, but it has no stars up top. it is a us regulation
The button you are talking about is a standard Eagle A Artillery button which is actually a fairly common button. The buttons in this thread are not standard issue. William Leigh is one of the best button experts in the field and he had never seen one. I've been digging and messing with relics for 40 years. I have never seen one. I've shown it to guys who have dealt with military items since back in the 40's and 50's They have never seen one. I've shown it to people who have written books on military relics including buttons. None of them have ever seen one. I don't think I need to go on but trust me this is not a standard issue button. It's possbile it isn't even patriotic or political.
i meant the one in my book was us reg. not this button
Oh ok, Sorry. :tongue3: To be honest the button would probably be worth more if it was an artillery button. Hopefully one day we will find out what it is.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom