What's new

Odd CW? eagle button

White Shaddow

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Posted this odd button on a few forums and no one can find it in any books.The shield is off center,the arrows are pointing down,it has a tin back which is there but well never get a makers mark off it.I was told you guys are the best,we'll see.Good luck and Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • may132.webp
    may132.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 618
Need a picture of the backmark, can you read it?

I'm guessing the 'A' is for Artillery :icon_thumright: Nice button
 
Upvote 0
O ya,12 stars and not 13.haven't seen any button with the haylow of stars on it.

.
 
Upvote 0
I have looked thru both the button books, (guess you have also) but no luck. I did see one with fifteen stars above the eagle but not twelve. I would suggest you send a pic to "North/South Trader" for their button expert or "American Digger" for Charlie Harris to look at. I will see Charlie next week but can't guarantee I will remember to ask him to look at your post. Good luck, I would really like to see an id on this one.
 
Upvote 0
I don't know much about buttons, but it looks pre-Civil War to me. I could easily be totally wrong though.

Doug
 
Upvote 0
I've got one and had never seen one before. I thought it might be an artillery button because of the A. I showed it to several people and William Leigh was the only one with any idea. He said he thought it was some type of patriotic button. He knows more than I do but I would have to agree as it is the same size and of the same construction as the civil war period patriotic buttons.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I've got one and had never seen one before. I thought it might be an artillery button because of the A. I showed it to several people and William Leigh was the only one with any idea. He said he thought it was some type of patriotic button. He knows more than I do but I would have to agree as it is the same size and of the same construction as the civil war period patriotic buttons.

I agree that it's patriotic, but the eagle with the "A" is pretty straight forward. I also checked under diplomatic/school/government and other types of buttons - but... got nothing.
 
Upvote 0
I've been trying to track this button down since the post went up, and I have completely struck out. :dontknow:

Whatever it is, it's a good find. Wish I could've found something on it for you.


Regards,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0
This is the only one I've seen other than the one I have. Mine is nondug though. I got it in a large group of military buttons I bought about 5 years ago. The buttons in the group dated from the 1840's to the 1880's
 
Upvote 0
The shield's shape is more like the Indian Wars era eagles.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54, since yours is non-dug, what does the backmark on yours say? That may help find a source.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
This is the only one I've seen other than the one I have. Mine is nondug though. I got it in a large group of military buttons I bought about 5 years ago. The buttons in the group dated from the 1840's to the 1880's
Please post a pic. My guess is it has no backmark. The 12 star mistake and steel back have me leaning toward non-military button, possibly academic. I will be following this post and hope for an ID. Are those arrows in the talons? It looks like a branch in one and flags in the other. My pic is a little dark.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
vayank54 said:
This is the only one I've seen other than the one I have. Mine is nondug though. I got it in a large group of military buttons I bought about 5 years ago. The buttons in the group dated from the 1840's to the 1880's
Please post a pic. My guess is it has no backmark. The 12 star mistake and steel back have me leaning toward non-military button, possibly academic. I will be following this post and hope for an ID. Are those arrows in the talons? It looks like a branch in one and flags in the other. My pic is a little dark.

Steel back or tin back?
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
vayank54 said:
This is the only one I've seen other than the one I have. Mine is nondug though. I got it in a large group of military buttons I bought about 5 years ago. The buttons in the group dated from the 1840's to the 1880's
Please post a pic. My guess is it has no backmark. The 12 star mistake and steel back have me leaning toward non-military button, possibly academic. I will be following this post and hope for an ID. Are those arrows in the talons? It looks like a branch in one and flags in the other. My pic is a little dark.
I saw this and was going to post a pic of mine but IT'S GONE. It's not in the case it should be in so I don't know. It's possbile that I moved it for some reason and forgot but I don't think so. I have a few cases put away I will check in but I'm fairly sure it wasn't in any of those. It had a blank tin back. If I can find it I'll post a pic. Sorry guys.
 
Upvote 0
Whew Found it. I had put it in a case that I took to a relic show.
 

Attachments

  • odd eagle A.webp
    odd eagle A.webp
    4.2 KB · Views: 357
  • odd eagle A2.webp
    odd eagle A2.webp
    3.2 KB · Views: 371
Upvote 0
This is the 10th un-solved "Button" topic I've found so far ... and have decided to make this the LAST post on sharing this link as a Christmas gift for all my friends on TreasureNet. I've decided if you haven't already received a half dozen of these notices, then you are probably not a button person anyway.

So just pick out the button you want for Christmas and I'll ... On second thought, let's skip that part! :tongue3:

MERRY CHRISTMAS

SODABOTTLEBOB

http://www.civilwarbuttons.com/index.html
 
Upvote 0
the a is for artillery for sure probably a us regulation button but i would guess earlier than c w maybe more like revolutionary
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom