Odd item

roscoelux

Mar 20, 2015
N . Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tool1.jpg tool2.jpg tool3.jpg
This is a curious item, clearly it had a great deal of use and is well made. The edges of the blunt end have been smoothed or ground down. Central Texas find. Has anyone seen this shape before? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Upvote 0

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think it just broke,and the years of being broke wore down the blunt end,broke end.i have some like it but from tn

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a big flake they took off and was broke while trying to make something out of it

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious Piece! It may have been used as a gouge.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only seen a couple in a store in Mason (Texas). They were broken too and they told me it was a gouge. Had never heard of one before.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big even broken I wonder how big it would of been whole. It looks like a thick tool like everyone else said I would have to go with their idea as it being a Gouge if it were a hard stone I would of guessed a pick.

OP
OP
R

roscoelux

Mar 20, 2015
N . Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The edges of the butt end are uniformly smoothed I don't think this break was the result of an accident. It really appears to be exactly what it is. The work is controlled and deliberate, the tip shows wear and sharpening. Beats me! I appreciate your comments and gouge like tool is what keeps ringing the bell for me.

OP
OP
R

roscoelux

Mar 20, 2015
N . Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found another of this curious tool in same locale North of San Antonio, TX. Seems to have been a specific design, as others have stated it looks like a wood working tool, perhaps a gouge or chisel.

tool2.jpg tool4.jpg tools1.jpg tools3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread