Odd shaped stone. What is it?

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oddly shaped/worked stone. What is it?

I found this on A beach on Mohegan island, which is an island off the cost of Maine. It had been inhabited by Native Americans, the key nations being the Micmacs and the Abnakis. The coastal tribes of the Passamaquoddy, the Penobscot, and the Wawenocks summered on islands, including Monhegan as well. It was first contacted by Europeans in 1657. Anyways, I thought I could do some looking around, considering the history, and I found this. It is stone but I am not sure what type. It is very light, weighing only 2 grams and has definitely been shaped. One has has been worn down from the water. I have not idea what this could be. Any info on this is greatly appreciated. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

erfranks

Mar 3, 2021
Cape Coral, Fl
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-2B
Minelab Equinox 800
White TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice eye, i would pick that up also. don't know what it is but very interesting

Upvote 0

potsherd_creek

Jan 12, 2021
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting find. Didn't some of the early muzzleloaders have a trapezoid slot cut in the barrel for the front site to slide in to fit tight? Is it possible that a front site was lost and one was made out of stone as a replacement? Just throwing that out there....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We already established this was not stone.... did we not?

Upvote 0

NonsequiturI

Feb 21, 2021
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of a piece of broken 'nut' from a stringed instrument... This one is a bass. bassnut.jpg ... Just my 2 cents.....

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread