What's new

Odd stone arrangement~ UPDATE! May be old still site!

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
READ BELOW FOR UPDATE
I found this group of stones by a small stream in the middle of the woods. The stones are piled in two almost parallel lines 12' in length. the stones are piled about one foot wide and connected at one end about 2 foot wide. There is an old dead cedar tree near this that seems to have been cut part way through with an axe. Maybe the tree is a marker? maybe nothing. What could these stones be? Looks like a grave but it is extremely close to the stream. See diagram. It is made of rocks but there are a few very old broken clay bricks mixed with the rocks. Anybody have any idea what this could be? I was thinking it could have been part of a small mill but that stream is too small to support a mill. Could it have been used for some kind of irrigation? The wide wooded area along the stream bank is pretty clear compared to the rest of the woods that are thick with pines. I think it may have been a cultivated field back in the day because I have found iron parts from plows and farming equipment in various areas.
NOTE: It is on a level area next to the stream
NOTE: There are not a lot of Maple trees in this area.

UPDATE

After looking at hundreds of pictures and diagrams on Google, I have come to the conclusion that this may very well have been part of a still. The still may have sat on the stones which had a fire burning under it. May have gotten the water from the stream running by and the worm box and any other part of the device may have sat elevated on the bank next to it. Or vice versa. Sorry but my scanner cut off part of my drawing. Also, The copper pipe I found up stream next to the wooden barrel bands looks very similar to the piping in the picture.
 

Attachments

  • Rocks1.webp
    Rocks1.webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 849
  • rocks2.webp
    rocks2.webp
    45.1 KB · Views: 855
  • 01-17-2010 04;35;03PM.webp
    01-17-2010 04;35;03PM.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 829
  • still.webp
    still.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 293
  • moonshining.webp
    moonshining.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 01-22-2010 01;12;23AM.webp
    01-22-2010 01;12;23AM.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 278
Re: What could this be, a grave?

Rando said:
Interesting.

I don't THINK it is due to the proximity of the stream.. Could be wrong though.

Also, is the compass alignment on your map North up?

Whatever it is, if it is connected to that other foundation, you have a neat site there...

I think that may be a section of 'rock culvert' placed there when the stream had a different course.

It is not very close to the other foundation but maybe a half mile or so. I beleive the closed end is near North direction but the diagram is not drawn with a heading in mind, just revelavance to the stream.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What could this be, a grave?

Could it have been an old stone fireplace (large end) and stone chimney that was toppled after structure burned or torn down. That might account for the bricks(fire bricks). Very interesting site for sure. Any other metal or glass items strewn around that would help date it.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What could this be, a grave?

what about the possibility that it is just a pile of rocks?
on the edge of a cliff that goes down to a steam, I have found 7 piles of rocks, all about 2-3 feet wide and about 6-7 feet long and a foot high, aligned side by side ( IIIIIII ) with the long side pointing to the steam. I first thought that it was a group of graves, but carefully disturbing one pile, I found the ground under it was undisturbed, no depression, so the rocks likely were not to keep animals from a grave as I had first supposed. What I think they are, is just piles of rocks cleared from the field and dumped in a line from a wheel barrow. Or should I go back and re-examine those piles?
 
Upvote 0
Re: What could this be, a grave?

Maybe an old well? ,a rectangle instead of round one.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What could this be, a grave?

silverswede said:
Could it have been an old stone fireplace (large end) and stone chimney that was toppled after structure burned or torn down. That might account for the bricks(fire bricks). Very interesting site for sure. Any other metal or glass items strewn around that would help date it.

The stones look like they were intentionally laid there. I dont think it is a fireplace, There were only 2 pieces of a brick that I saw.There was rusty junk laying about.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What could this be, a grave?

littleneckhalfshell said:
what about the possibility that it is just a pile of rocks?
on the edge of a cliff that goes down to a steam, I have found 7 piles of rocks, all about 2-3 feet wide and about 6-7 feet long and a foot high, aligned side by side ( IIIIIII ) with the long side pointing to the steam. I first thought that it was a group of graves, but carefully disturbing one pile, I found the ground under it was undisturbed, no depression, so the rocks likely were not to keep animals from a grave as I had first supposed. What I think they are, is just piles of rocks cleared from the field and dumped in a line from a wheel barrow. Or should I go back and re-examine those piles?

The pictures are very hard to see the actual rocks thats why the diagram. These stones are in a perfectly straight line and closed at one end with space between the two. I have seen other piles of cleared stones in the area but no others looked like this. This looks like it was put there for a reason.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What could this be, a grave?

Rando said:
Interesting.

I don't THINK it is due to the proximity of the stream.. Could be wrong though.

Also, is the compass alignment on your map North up?

Whatever it is, if it is connected to that other foundation, you have a neat site there...

I think that may be a section of 'rock culvert' placed there when the stream had a different course.

Whats the purpose of a culvert?
 
Upvote 0
Re: What could this be, a grave?

traderoftreasures said:
is that just a wet weather creek ? does it support any fish anywhere close?

It's not a creek, it's a stream, not runoff either always has water in it.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What could this be, a grave?

Produce Guy said:
Maybe an old well? ,a rectangle instead of round one.

I dont think so, its too narrow between the two lines of stones, and I am not sure they would put a well next to a stream. Thanks for the idea
 
Upvote 0
Re: What could this be, a grave?

Rando said:
SkyPirate said:
Produce Guy said:
Maybe an old well? ,a rectangle instead of round one.

I dont think so, its too narrow between the two lines of stones, and I am not sure they would put a well next to a stream. Thanks for the idea

Well, on something as small as that stream, it may have only had to be the width of the stream itself to be a successful crossing.

It's hard to tell from a picture, though. you would be able to judge it better as you were there in person.

It was just a thought.

;D

No no, i was replying to the well idea, not the culvert.
 
Upvote 0
Re: What could this be, a grave?

Any other ideas out there?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Odd stone arrangement

Wondering if it had something to do with a moonshiners still.......
 
Upvote 0
Re: Odd stone arrangement

possable old Spring ?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Odd stone arrangement

Remains of a watering trough?

common3.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Re: Odd stone arrangement

traderoftreasures said:
can you go rake it and post a picture?

It's a good 2.5 mile hike to get there, Maybe next time I head into that area I will take a rake and a better picture.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom