What's new

Oddly shaped horseshoe. Do you know the age?

LOOT

Full Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2014
Messages
104
Reaction score
146
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Other
I found this odd horseshoe. Any idea on the age or why it would be bent?

Horsehoe.webp
 
Upvote 4
I believe that belonged to Paul Bunyan's ox! I know nothing of metal working really, but perhaps it was a horseshoe what was never completed with the working end still attached.
 
Bent so it was not to be reused , and it could then be reforged by a blacksmith to make a new shoe , is my best guess
 
Thanks for the ideas. I think those both seem like possibilities. The bent side does seem to be longer.
The odd thing was it was in ground sitting up just like the picture below:

Horseshoe3.webp
 
First thought was it may have been hit with a heavy plow, but it would have taken considerable force to bend thick iron like that. I can only guess that it may have been forged that way on purpose, but why, I don't know. Maybe to make a hook to hang something on? Thanks for sharing!
 
Cool find the not knowing factor is pretty awesome some times!!!!
 
I agree with Scrappy unfinished shoe
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom