What's new

"off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

markgPA

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
367
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
"off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Hi everyone,
I managed to sneak a couple more wheats (1909 and 1919) & IH's (1882, 1884, and two 1892) out of our little honey hole last week. So TnT2000 and I decided to meet Friday after work. We went right back to where I left off and bam, TnT snags an IH. About ten minutes later I got a pulltab signal. I kicked aside the leaves and an 1/8" of soil and the signal was gone. I saw what I thought was piece of a pull tab in the clump of leaves. Good thing I picked it up. Out pops an 1856 silver three center!!!! Man that sucker is little!
What's funny is TnT has found two this year and I just asked him minutes earlier what reading they give on his machine. He said one was a def. silver and one was jumping around a bit.
The date is a little worn, and the coin a little bent, but I am pumped about the find. I ended up finding two more IH's (a nice 1879 and 1881).
We are hunting a wooded area next to some farm fields. We keep pounding this area and as TnT says "we always squeak out something"!
Thanks for reading and thanks again to TnT, because he origionally found this area!
HH
Mark G
 

Attachments

  • wheats and ih.webp
    wheats and ih.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 4,238
  • 1856 3 cents.webp
    1856 3 cents.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 4,212
  • 3 cents.webp
    3 cents.webp
    23 KB · Views: 4,182
  • pins and stuff.webp
    pins and stuff.webp
    16 KB · Views: 4,185
Upvote 0
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Very cool coin, any idea on the pin/medallion with the woman on it ??
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Smokin find! That 3 center looks fabulous! ;D You guys got a hot spot. IH's are sweet too.

Mirage
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

So that little sucker lay under a thin soil layer with leaves on top of that?
How in the world was it so shallow if the current crop of leaves would have added another 1/16" or so once decomposed?
Makes me wonder about coin density/soil density/coin sinkage/soil addage, etc as far as how deep coins are based on the above. I have read here on TN and elsewhere of 1800's coins laying on the surface in wooded areas.
I have found a couple silver laying on the surface, but they were no older than the 50's.

Great find...that's a cool looking coin for a US coin...almost looks foreign on the obverse.
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Wow Mark, those are some fantastic finds. Nice story and excellent pictures, thanks for sharing and happy hunting. NS ;D
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

ive never found a 3 cent piece . way to go on that and all the other great old coins...
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

great finds,, very very nice !!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

What a cool coin! Thanks for posting!
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

WTG guys, great finds you have there. Like the 3 center...
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

That's a real nice Trime you found. I found an 1852 earlier this year, but yours is in nicer shape. Way to go!
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Extreamly nice coin! Great going. :)
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Swwweeeeeeet coins!
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Nice finds
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

great find! you dont see a whole lot of 3 centers being dug!
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Congrats on the 3 center.

They are so small. I found one about 2 yrs ago. It was a 1851. It was bent and worn down to. I couldn't get over how small they are. I found it in clay at 5 inches reading a plus 44 46 on the dfx.

HH Jer
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Very cool! Keep it up!
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Congratulations load of great finds. Especially that 3 cent piece. Wow thats a beaute of a find.

Postalrevnant
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Sweet coins indeed. That little 3 cent coin is a beaut. The IHs are sweetie pies, too. And the old jewelry pieces are fascinating. What a great honey hole you guys have there. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Wouldn't it be totally cool to know the history of how that 3 center got there, who lost it, and how come it was so shallow? We'll probably never know the answers to such questions, but the speculation can be fun, too.

Anyhow, great finds, hope you continue to post your finds from that spot.
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Awesome finds.....sounds like you got a great sweet spot there!!! hard to find a silver 3 center that isn;t a little bent, especially a dug one. They are so tiny and thin that they bend VERY easy. Great finds, any idea on what the lumber jack pin/brooch is?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom