What's new

"off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

markgPA

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
367
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bethlehem, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites PrizmV, Minelab Explorer SE
"off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Hi everyone,
I managed to sneak a couple more wheats (1909 and 1919) & IH's (1882, 1884, and two 1892) out of our little honey hole last week. So TnT2000 and I decided to meet Friday after work. We went right back to where I left off and bam, TnT snags an IH. About ten minutes later I got a pulltab signal. I kicked aside the leaves and an 1/8" of soil and the signal was gone. I saw what I thought was piece of a pull tab in the clump of leaves. Good thing I picked it up. Out pops an 1856 silver three center!!!! Man that sucker is little!
What's funny is TnT has found two this year and I just asked him minutes earlier what reading they give on his machine. He said one was a def. silver and one was jumping around a bit.
The date is a little worn, and the coin a little bent, but I am pumped about the find. I ended up finding two more IH's (a nice 1879 and 1881).
We are hunting a wooded area next to some farm fields. We keep pounding this area and as TnT says "we always squeak out something"!
Thanks for reading and thanks again to TnT, because he origionally found this area!
HH
Mark G
 

Attachments

  • wheats and ih.webp
    wheats and ih.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 4,238
  • 1856 3 cents.webp
    1856 3 cents.webp
    20.7 KB · Views: 4,212
  • 3 cents.webp
    3 cents.webp
    23 KB · Views: 4,182
  • pins and stuff.webp
    pins and stuff.webp
    16 KB · Views: 4,185
Upvote 0
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

That 3 cent coin is AWESOME !!!!

I hope someday I get one - I love out of circ. coinage,

but that goes way beyond!!

AWESOME !!
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Awesome find, congrats!
That's one of the nicer ones I have seen
come out of the ground. A real treasure!!

Smiles!
BDoo
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Way cool, I've found nickel three centers, but never a silver one. Congrats
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

I found an 1853 this year in a park. It was 6 inches deep! That just shows how good my detector is, dudes!
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Danimal said:
So that little sucker lay under a thin soil layer with leaves on top of that?
How in the world was it so shallow if the current crop of leaves would have added another 1/16" or so once decomposed?
Makes me wonder about coin density/soil density/coin sinkage/soil addage, etc as far as how deep coins are based on the above. I have read here on TN and elsewhere of 1800's coins laying on the surface in wooded areas.
I have found a couple silver laying on the surface, but they were no older than the 50's.

Great find...that's a cool looking coin for a US coin...almost looks foreign on the obverse.

Hey Mark...Hey all

Yes this site is very strange the soil is very loose easy digging but even the Indians we have found ranged from 1/2" to maybe 2" deep.. The one large cent I found was only 1/2" down....I guess what I am saying is I don't understand....everything is shallow....I was happy mark got it it is a fab find....

H.H. TnT
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Fantastic coins and relics, Mark.The three center is definitely a special find....congrats....Joe
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Very cool 3 cent. I've only seen them in the books. Nice to see a member post one!
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

That is awesome dirt fishing find. That is a beautiful 3 center.
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Awesome 3 cent piece1 Tsgman
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Mark,
Congrats on the 3 center!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!
Those IHs a great, too!
HH
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

markgPA said:
Out pops an 1856 silver three center!!!!

Wow, those are some nice finds. I've never seen a three cent coin before, that's a real sweet catch.

Happy Hunting
Johnny
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Congrats on the 1856!! great find
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Nice looking coin indeed...
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

I've dreamt of a find like that. I would love experience that. Nice date too.

Good job recovering that beauty!
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

WOW.... nice find..those babys don't come around to often....
 
Great Find!!

One of my favorite coins! The reverse doesn't even look like a US coin. More like a foriegn or a token. Still looking for my first.
Congrats,
Jules
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Awesome Find....That would definetley be my best!!Congrat's and HH!!
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Nice 3 cent silver! Hard to find!

HH
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

the back of that three-center is just about the nicest design ever approved for coinage in our country. you'd never see anything so elegant pass through congress these days- nice finds all around-
steve
 
Re: "off the beaten path" with TNT2000 nets one of my best finds!

Very nice!! :D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom