What's new

off topic question

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
2,027
Reaction score
475
Golden Thread
0
Location
va beach, va
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my kinda new puter uses Vista and the free anti-virus is about to expire and i must replace with something new

i need some suggestions please

max
 
Upvote 0
Depending on your internet service, most ISP's have free virus protection i have comcast broadband and norton is free!!! hope this helps and you may save some money to boot!! HH Chug
 
if not avg is free
 
Most are worthless with the viruses that are out there. My son put Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on mine and I find it to be great. Mind you he is a geek and works/builds/repairs, and sleeps with computers, soooooooo, where he got it, I have no idea! I'll ask him when he gets home, but meanwhile just google it and let me know what you find. All I have to do is click on it once in awhile and it finds files with spyware attatched to it as well, and once it cleans it up my computer runs like a new tuned car....hope this might have helped. Paul
 
I've got AVAST. It's free but needs to be renewed yearly. It works great.

jj
 
Avast or AVG both free and work... also download advanced system care for free to and you won't believe how much crap it cleans out, and will run faster to boot...
 
Avast AND Malwarebytes together!
 
I've been using Avast Antivirus for about 4 or 5 years now, and I've yet to have a virus.
I've had plenty of attempts... but Avast locks down that individual connection any time a virus tries to hit my system.
Here's the download link for it,
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free...0019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

Another program I use is called Ad-Aware Anti-Malware, which is another free program that you can install and let run on your system.
The only downside is that you have to manually click the update button in order to update it, whereas Avast updates automatically.
Here's the download link,
http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Free-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?tag=mncol

Bran <><
 
Bran, I think we talked about Avast before. Did you update to the latest version with the female voice? I think she sounds like the dingy office assistant on Becker, :D
 
GopherDaGold said:
Bran, I think we talked about Avast before. Did you update to the latest version with the female voice? I think she sounds like the dingy office assistant on Becker, :D

Yep and I agree!!! :laughing7:
Still makes me feel better hearing that it's constantly updating every day...

Bran <><
 
i have vista and tried them all. the best for vista is norton 360
 
I've been a computer tech for over 10yrs now, the best combination I have found for FREE are the following three:

AVG FREE antivirus
MalWareBytes FREE
Spybot Search and Destroy FREE

all can be downloaded for free through a quick google search. I recommend running a manual scan every 2-3 weeks to keep your pc free of all kinds of nasties!
 
I would recommend keeping it simple i.e. one reasonably good product that provides broad coverage, is updated regularly, and is very easy to use. The one from Microsoft is basically set and forget:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Installing too many products could add more overhead to a system, not to mention additional learning curves for a casual user. These sorts of products tend to have deep hooks into the O/S in order to do their work, so I would prefer not to have many running in the background. Plus I am not a fan of having to remember to manually run them on demand. I am actually using the Microsoft product on one of my machines.

Other highly rated free antivirus options to consider are Avira and Avast.
 
This was kicked around significantly on the 'other' forum with much the same advice. AVG or AVAST...but someone I know and trust thinks the free one from Microsoft works best. I have used AVAST for many years and probably do some pretty outlandish surfing. Never have I had a virus. jim
 
grumpyolman said:
I have used AVAST for many years and probably do some pretty outlandish surfing. Never have I had a virus. jim

Heh, me too... :icon_pirat:
I'd try that M$ program, except I don't trust M$... so I'll just stick with what I know. :wink:
I used AVG for years and it worked fine for me until there was a conflict with a Stardock program that I used frequently.
That's when I switched over to Avast.

Bran <><
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom