May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are still stratching around for ideas, so we started on 2 fields that were ploughed & not planted, but had nothing. This was because it used to be marsh land before draining, so a desperate try!
Then we tried a Wood (never hunted it) which was 500 metres from a known Roman Site, but again nothing.
Then we moved to the Copse on the edge of a Roman Site, where we had found about 5 Roman coins in the past, but again nothing.
At this point the only scrappy I had was found on the side of a trackway whilst returning to the car from the Wood.
Dad decided to try the Tractor Tyre tracks whilst I was in the Copse, & did OK with 3 scrappies.
So on the way back to the car again we followed a tyre track up the middle of the field, & when I got to the end I was somewhat in front, so instead of turning left towards the car, I turned right, so as to do a loop & let Dad catch up. At the end of the loop & close to the corner of the field I got 'the button'. Made our 3 hours more than worth it, specially after doing a bit of research.

The following is my best assumption at this stage because I can't find an example of this button at all & I suspect its at least Very Rare!

Officers Silver Plated Button with Shank
S FIRMIN STRAND - Dates it to 1771-80
The only Irish Brigade I can find is linked to the 'French Irish Brigade' which dispanded in 1792.

I have really struggled on this one, so any help would be great? I am awaiting an expert opinion, so fingers crossed.:thumbsup:

UPDATE:
Loyal Irish Brigade 1794-99

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 100
  • Irish Brigade.JPG
    Irish Brigade.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Upvote 16
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS. The weather was crazy warm today, could have worn a T-Shirt. Dad saw a butterfly:icon_scratch: (no flowers around)

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Gorgeous button!
I hope it is the elusive rarity we all look for. I'll be looking for the update when you nail it down

Possible connection to the Irish Rebellion 1798???

Last edited:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI CRUSADER; Here in Boston area that button would go for at least $150 - $250 in American Dollars. That would be a real sweet addition to anyone's collection here. With a bidding war it could go for over $500. I'd love to have it. Here during the Civil War (1859 - 1865) there were Irish Brigades that fought with valor for the Union Forces. Many times Brigades were made up of different Ethnicities. That button would be Famous around here ok. Sweet find. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI CRUSADER; Here in Boston area that button would go for at least $150 - $250 in American Dollars. That would be a real sweet addition to anyone's collection here. With a bidding war it could go for over $500. I'd love to have it. Here during the Civil War (1859 - 1865) there were Irish Brigades that fought with valor for the Union Forces. Many times Brigades were made up of different Ethnicities. That button would be Famous around here ok. Sweet find. PEACE:RONB

Yes, I found out about the CW connection, there is also a Rev War connection. But I had never heard of the French connection, which I 'think' this is.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find. I wonder how it got there :thumbsup:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
French Connection is a movie if i remember

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Never seen that button before - very nice!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Random thought Easter Rising incident just before WW1 ?

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a gorgeous button Cru! I really hope it's a super rare one. It's got a great look to it

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome button!I don't think I have ever seen one before,really nice to have to add to your collection.congrats

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lots of silver left on that one, nice addition to the buttons.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a sweet button. Hope you can get some more information on it.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you can nail this one down. Good looking button and if it's a sought after one the condition will be the icing on the cake!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE:

Although I have an ID, I'm a little confused by the timelines.

There was a button published only a few years back, it was attributed to the Loyal Irish Brigade 1794-99.(Short lived)
Brief History:
The Irish Brigade was formed in 1794 employing as officers many Irishmen who had served in Irish Regiments of the French Army but who had left France following the Revolution. There were originally six regiments but recruiting difficulties reduced their strength to four regiments, some serving abroad in Nova Scotia and the West Indies.

I've asked the question of the expert;
If the ‘Loyal Irish Brigade’ were formed in 1794 why does the button manufacture date to 1771-80?
NB. Published example has backmark - 'Brady Dublin', mine has S FIRMIN STRAND.

Attachments

• Irish Brigade Button.png
    Irish Brigade Button.png
    84.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread