Officially found more Large Cents than wheaties.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up in Maine visiting my mom for the week. After some good home cooking, I went to one of her fields. I'll be hitting this place hard during the week but it was almost dark by the time I got outside.

Found an 1838 Large Cent. She's soaking in olive oil for now but looking through a loupe, it is definitely a 3 and an 8. Wish the pictures came out better. That bring my total in my years of metal detecting to Large Cents: 2 Wheaties: 1

I have no clue why I never find wheat pennies.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

lgcntob.jpg largecent.jpg

AT Pro, disc 30, IA on, max sensitivity. Found about 10 inches deep.

Last edited:
Upvote 3

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG ! keep it up

While you were in Maine - I was finding gold and silver in New Bedford
You can find my post below somewhere

cologneman

Apr 6, 2015
Northeast Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and XP Deus. Garrett Carrot and MI-6.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothin like home cooking even if it makes you late detecting. At least you got the rest of the week that sounds promising. Great start with the large cent. Good luck up there.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG ! keep it up

While you were in Maine - I was finding gold and silver in New Bedford
You can find my post below somewhere

That was in New Bedford?! I liked that post! UNLIKE! UNLIKE!

j/k those were some great finds.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothin like home cooking even if it makes you late detecting. At least you got the rest of the week that sounds promising. Great start with the large cent. Good luck up there.

Oddly enough, I got into metal detecting AFTER I moved from here.

My mother's property dates to the early 1800s. 54 acres of virgin ground. 40 acres of farm fields, 14 acres of woods with old rock walls. Old apple orchards, streams, duck pond. A metal detector has never touched this property until this vacation. I mean, my uncle use to swing his coil around with me on the front lawn when I was a kid, but never any of the back 40. I'm very excited and hopefully this coin is just the start!

According to historic map works, I should be looking for an old house in the middle of my mother's horse race track that with research, is mid 1800s. I am not sure how accurate HMW is but growing up my whole life here, I've never seen signs of another home on the property. My mother's house is 1909 after the original burned down 2 years earlier.

Needless to say, I will be up at the crack of dawn and will only come inside for the dinner bell!

Attachments

• old home.jpg
    old home.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 81

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You need to dig lower signals for wheats dude!! Lol.

Just kidding. I wish I had that problem. I have thousands of wheats.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RACE TRACKS CAN BE VERY GOOD - not all early houses had cellar holes - some they built right on the ground - sometimes easier to find those when snow is on the ground - you will see the square/rectangular depression easier
good luck

Oddly enough, I got into metal detecting AFTER I moved from here.

My mother's property dates to the early 1800s. 54 acres of virgin ground. 40 acres of farm fields, 14 acres of woods with old rock walls. Old apple orchards, streams, duck pond. A metal detector has never touched this property until this vacation. I mean, my uncle use to swing his coil around with me on the front lawn when I was a kid, but never any of the back 40. I'm very excited and hopefully this coin is just the start!

According to historic map works, I should be looking for an old house in the middle of my mother's horse race track that with research, is mid 1800s. I am not sure how accurate HMW is but growing up my whole life here, I've never seen signs of another home on the property. My mother's house is 1909 after the original burned down 2 years earlier.

Needless to say, I will be up at the crack of dawn and will only come inside for the dinner bell!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread