What's new

Oh, What A Night!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2012
Messages
3,966
Reaction score
8,893
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I returned to my TRE (target rich environment) school yard yesterday evening. Weather was a bit more cooperative, thankfully. The battle-scarred ATPro started to sing the song of my peoples.

First find was my first badge, ironic because I have collected badges for over 35 years! Kansas City Transit, Inc. hat badge, no hallmark. May be a bus driver, truck line, or city rail badge. It rang up a solid 85 at 6" on the VDI.

I then had a nice little surprise with a solid 83 at 4" VDI, the result being a 1954 Eisenhower dime.

As the sun began to hide behind the treeline in the western sky, I got a standard clad quarter signal out in the middle of the lawn. That turned out to be a thin, flat oval of copper. I could see a reeded edge and knew it was some kid's railroad flattened quarter. (The tracks are 1/4 mile away.)

About 18" away from the flattened quarter, I got a screaming 95 at 2" VDI and thought, "aluminum can." Much to my surprise a chunky sterling ring exposed itself in the plug! After knocking the dirt out of the center, I saw standard US coin markings, YAY :hello2:, my first coin ring! After inspecting it with a loop at home, I saw the last number of the date inside, an "8." So , with the other findings, it is probably a 1948 or 1958 Ben Franklin half dollar that was crafted into a ring. It weighs in at 7.5 grams. Mrs. Sub has already claimed this one!:laughing7:

I also found a brass "wing" pendant and an alloy butterfly pendant. All in all, a great hunt for me and proof that it is never hunted out. (This is the fifth time I have hunted this lawn.) Happy hunting to all. Sub 8-)
 

Attachments

  • badge1.webp
    badge1.webp
    154.2 KB · Views: 215
  • badge2.webp
    badge2.webp
    172.5 KB · Views: 191
  • badge3.webp
    badge3.webp
    71.9 KB · Views: 191
  • badge4.webp
    badge4.webp
    72 KB · Views: 191
  • badge5.webp
    badge5.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 188
  • badge6.webp
    badge6.webp
    97.3 KB · Views: 188
  • badge7.webp
    badge7.webp
    171.8 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 56
That's an awesome silver haul! A half dollar ring! Nice! The badge is a really nice find!
The more you hunt the better you find! Look out pot of gold here comes Sub!
Congrats really awesome finds!
 
Nice silver haul. Oh what a night, late December back in 63 lol
 
Great finds Sub. Love the badge and the ring. Just wondering about the center ring inside. I found a half ring just recently and although the words inside are not as clear as yours it too has the raised ring inside. Must be mfg process.

IMG_20150722_120618.webp
 
That coin ring is very cool
 
Great finds Sub. Love the badge and the ring. Just wondering about the center ring inside. I found a half ring just recently and although the words inside are not as clear as yours it too has the raised ring inside. Must be mfg process.

View attachment 1193365




Tylerbdad, I checked and there are several Youtube videos online showing how they are made. Its all new to me! Sub 8-)
 
Sub I've seen process for newly made rings. Is process for older made rings the same?
 
That's an awesome silver haul! A half dollar ring! Nice! The badge is a really nice find!
The more you hunt the better you find! Look out pot of gold here comes Sub!
Congrats really awesome finds!

Thanks MSBB, I always look forward to seeing your tot lot treasures too! No gold yet at this TRE school, but there are many signals in that range still out there. So much digging, so little treasures...Sub 8-)
 
Sub I've seen process for newly made rings. Is process for older made rings the same?

Your ring and my ring appear to be made by the same process, using a ball peen hammer around the edge against an anvil until flattened to the right width of the band, and then drilling or using a jeweler's saw to cut around the inner surface of the band, followed up by filing and sanding. I hope all the excess silver doesn't go to waste! Sub 8-)
 
"the result being a 1954 Eisenhower dime" :dontknow: That must be a rare one! :laughing7:

The badge and the coin ring are fantastic finds!! I have found neither like that so far. Congrats!
 
Many good finds there Sub! A coin ring would be great to find!
 
Awesome finds Sub, thats one big silver coin ring congrats to yah....:icon_thumright:
 
There are indeed some excellent videos on youtube of two very different methods of making coin rings - Yours is a fine
ring ! and a really good find . I always wear one that I made from a 1964 Kennedy half - by the same method as yours.
 
Yeah SUB! That coin ring is super sweet! Congrats on a really cool find. I know that your "into" badges, so congrats on that too. I like the "Roosevelt" dime too!
 
OH WHAT A NIGHT LATE IN JULY 2015 , AND SUB HAS A NICE KCT BADGE FOR ALL OF US TO SEE . OH WHAT A BADGE OH WHAT A FIND.
 
Great badge and half dollar silver ring is awesome, congrats on a great night.
 
Excellent outing!! Love the array of finds! :thumbsup:
 
Nice hunting there Sub , real cool Silver , congrats .. cheers Mick
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom