What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Oil can?

Nathan W

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2023
Messages
3,453
Reaction score
10,833
Golden Thread
0
Posting this for a friend. Cant tell if it's an oil can or a miners lamp. They are similar. Thoughts?
 

Attachments

  • image000000.webp
    image000000.webp
    72.2 KB · Views: 121
I don't think it's an oil can. Being from a mining town I've seen my share of miners lamps, yours is a style I haven't seen. I'm going with a miners lamp, does it have 2 compartments, one for water ,and one for carbide ?
 
Upvote 0
The tube on top has me wondering, how a reflector dish would be attached ? Is your item a Frankenstein of an oil can and a miners lamp ????
 
Upvote 0
I think we need more photos from different angles than the only one we see now.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Here's some more pics he sent
 

Attachments

  • image000000.webp
    image000000.webp
    39.2 KB · Views: 69
  • image000000.webp
    image000000.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
Ask @DizzyDigger it might an early style bong pipe. 😁


Hmmmmm...let me dig into my ancient bag of bud wisdom...
old stoner.gif


That would be a NO....
moose.gif


It is interesting how they soldered on those flanges, and it was made to
hang off of something (hook).

Beats the hell outta me Lieutenant... :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
I would say it’s definitely a carbide lamp, although not necessarily for mining use. They were used for a number of purposes, including by railway workers for things like wheel inspection. The vertical tube would be the combustion chamber / burner tube for the acetylene gas and may or may not have had a concave reflector attached to it. There are dozens of different configurations for the tube and I can’t find an exact match, but this kind of thing (the first one has an offset tube and the second one has a dual flame outlet for increased illumination):

Carbide1.webp

Carbide2.webp
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom